Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Musings from the Miller ...... antique machines are better. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/musings-miller-antique-machines-better-t185704.html)

J Miller 04-13-2012 07:56 PM

Oh boy, I had a 66 VW bug and you are so right about them. I am a firm believer in the KISS principle.

Joe

miriam 04-14-2012 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by redbugsullivan (Post 5139161)
Yeah!! Someone else finally said it! While reading this thread, my '65 Bug kept coming to mind. It is simple, basic and easy to work on. In many ways, it is like my treadle without the whole Fred Flintstone thing going on.

I like this.

redbugsullivan 04-14-2012 07:11 AM

With vintage machines, people actually looked at what they were doing when assembling them. Recently, my friend's Brother machine stopped working at a very bad time. She was making costumes for the school play which was 3 days away. In passing, she mentioned the fact she had to go sewing machine shopping after work!

20 minutes later (thankfully I keep a good toolbox at work) I had cleaned out the feed dog area, reconnected a spring, and shifted 80% of the grease on to the gears. That's right. Most of what had been applied had not even been placed correctly. Now it runs better than it ever has! Workmanship...

SewExtremeSeams 04-18-2012 08:49 PM

I used to have a 66 VW. That's when you could still do the work on them yourselves!

Mizkaki 04-18-2012 09:42 PM

Joe,

A term that I have used for years to describe a heavy machine this is in a case is..... lug-able. (Snicker)

Cathy

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5135963)
There are two trains of thought I guess about "portable" machines.
First, the original definition of "portable" means it's not in a cabinet, but still weighs the same as a full size 57 Chevy.
Second, the modern definition of "portable" means it's light as breeze and you can carry it around in your back pack or purse.

Joe

miriam 04-19-2012 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5139419)
Oh boy, I had a 66 VW bug and you are so right about them. I am a firm believer in the KISS principle.

Joe

my old VW bug got better mileage than my new Honda. Go figure.

J Miller 04-19-2012 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki (Post 5152755)
Joe,

A term that I have used for years to describe a heavy machine this is in a case is..... lug-able. (Snicker)

Cathy

Cathy,
That is so true. You don't carry 'em, you lug 'em around.

Joe

J Miller 04-19-2012 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5152827)
my old VW bug got better mileage than my new Honda. Go figure.

It's been sooooooo many summers since I had my 66 I've forgotten if I even took a gas milage test. Back then gas wasn't so expensive so you filled up and drove.
The old bugs had no emissions, no electronics, no computers, no catalytic converters, nothing but simplicity.

I'm thinking maybe I should sell all my stuff, buy a bug and go on a road trip. Beep beep.

Joe

Mizkaki 04-19-2012 06:29 PM

Joe,

Beep! Beep! (that's me passing you on my road trip.)

Cathy

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5154028)
It's been sooooooo many summers since I had my 66 I've forgotten if I even took a gas milage test. Back then gas wasn't so expensive so you filled up and drove.
The old bugs had no emissions, no electronics, no computers, no catalytic converters, nothing but simplicity.

I'm thinking maybe I should sell all my stuff, buy a bug and go on a road trip. Beep beep.

Joe

miriam 04-19-2012 08:28 PM

Ha, ha, make mine one of those old camper vans and I'm ready for a road trip with camping in the Walmart parking lot. All except the one we stopped at in TN one time - too many shoot outs - way too close...