Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   My New Pfaff 130 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/my-new-pfaff-130-a-t208873.html)

mo130 12-20-2012 09:20 AM

My New Pfaff 130

4 Attachment(s)
Hi Everyone!

I just bought a 1952 Pfaff 130 from Chicago's CL two days ago. I know very little about sewing, but I've always wanted to learn, and I heard that this is one of the best sewing machines (new or vintage) out there.

It seems to work and be in pretty good condition in its original box. The box is fine other than the handle. I paid $80 for it. From the research I've done, it seems like my price was somewhere between a sweet deal and getting hosed. It came with little or no accessories, other than its 1.3 amp "made for Pfaff" motor, an extra bobbin, two extra needles, a small knife, and an unknown part.

Please feel free to recommend an optimal sewing machine oil to get me started. I already got the instructions, but I'll be searching estate sales for accessories and a manual to make my 130 complete. Suggestions on a good Sewing for Dummies guide would be helpful as well and any other thoughts you might have that would help me get my as yet unnamed 130 earning its keep would be greatly appreciated.

I very much want to remove the smiley face and Christ stickers on her. Is Goo-Gone safe for the finish? There's also some tape on there just to the right of the needle (not sure why - it doesn't seem to have any function).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Have a great holiday and thanks for already enlightening me with your posts.

Mo

jlm5419 12-20-2012 09:53 AM

Congrats! I have heard that is a great machine. The tape was likely used as a seam guide, and the sticky stuff should come off with oil. As for oiling the machine, I use Tri-flow oil. It contains Teflon.

neenee586 12-20-2012 10:45 AM

Congrats! I think you got a SWEET DEAL!

mo130 12-20-2012 01:53 PM

Thanks for solving the mystery of the tape. I'll remove it too with some oil. Thanks for the tips.

I think I did get a sweet deal after all. I can't wait to see how it works once it's been lubricated. It looks like it hasn't been oiled in years.

Candace 12-20-2012 02:19 PM

My recent post on the 130 http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...a-t208225.html

Yes, Goo Gone is great.

mo130 12-20-2012 02:44 PM

Candace,

Wow, your machine was lucky to be rescued by you! Did you use sewing machine oil for the finish as well? I don't think mine needs a shellacking.

Candace 12-20-2012 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by mo130 (Post 5731659)
Candace,

Wow, your machine was lucky to be rescued by you! Did you use sewing machine oil for the finish as well? I don't think mine needs a shellacking.

Yes, oiled, cleaned and then waxed.

cricket_iscute 12-21-2012 10:07 PM

Nice machine! I have one also and love it. It's one of the best machines made, IMHO, and has very precise engineering, especially in the bobbin area. It is good for free motion quilting, among other things. It will handle much heavier fabric than other machines, but don't do leather often! I know people who use this machine to mend the sales on their sailboat.

I agree with Tri-Flow oil. The manual will show you where to put exactly one drop, but generally, put a drop anywhere metal meets metal, except gears. I also recommend Tri-Flow grease for the gears (no oil on the gears!) and if you can't find that, use Singer grease/lubricant. If you can't find it, use regular sewing machine oil. Do NOT use 3-in-1 or WD40 or any other oil on a sewing machine! Ever.

You can use sewing machine oil to clean the outside, too. Use a soft cloth like flannel or diapers.

You will have to keep the bobbin area very clean and be careful what thread you use in the bobbin. The slightest lint, dust, or stray thread will cause this machine to come to a screeching halt. Cover it when not in use. This is not a machine that can be used for bobbin work with thick threads in the bobbin - ask me how I know! If you have kids I would recommend they not use this fine example of German engineering. This is a machine deserving of the greatest respect. In my opinion, it is one of the top five sewing machines of all time. Can you tell how much I like it?

It uses Pfaff low-shank feet. You can find them on e-bay. You might be able to use generic feet but I haven't tried it and don't really know how they would work. Pfaff feet are also well engineered and precise.

I think Goo Gone should be safe.

You got an excellent price. I have a pristine model, a perfect machine - not a scratch - and it cost me almost $400 about 4 years ago. It had been meched by one of the best in the business, and that was included in the price. I maintain it myself, being a sewing machine mechanic.

There is a yahoo group called OldPfaff forum or something similar. They will have a manual on line and a great deal of information in many posts on the 130.

You have a machine worth having and keeping nice for decades to come. And if you ever want to get rid of it, let me know.

mo130 12-22-2012 07:57 AM

4 Attachment(s)
It's been a bit busy around here, so I haven't invested as much time getting her cleaned up as I would have liked, but I did get the stickers off with Goo Gone. It did a great job without affecting the finish at all. I also used some Brasso on much of her chrome, which beautifully removed much of the pitting. I think if I work at it a bit more, I'll be able to make what little is left disappear.

I also had a chance to "play" with her a bit. I'm amazed at the different kinds of stitches you can make (although I'm a total novice, so she'll be able to amaze me easily).

Tomorrow, I'm heading to Florida for a few days, but as soon as I get back, I'll start working on her finish with the oil that Candace and Cricket recommended. I agree with Candace's approach on "restoring." I never repaint or refinish anything unless its finish is nearly destroyed. I use the least amount of chemicals possible to mostly just clean up that nice patina which vintage items acquire over time. Here are some images after the Brasso treatment and sticker removal. [ATTACH=CONFIG]383594[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]383595[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]383596[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]383593[/ATTACH]

Candace 12-22-2012 09:11 AM

Looks great. Yes, I use Brasso too. It does a great job. I also have been known to take out my Dremmel with polishing tool to get any stubborn rust off. The Brasso works best, though.

Enjoy your machine! Mine only does straight and zig zag as I don't have the embroidery attachment. I also need to hunt down the spool pin thing-a-ma-jig for the second spool pin holder.