Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Need some help with 401 restoring (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/need-some-help-401-restoring-t213995.html)

miriam 02-19-2013 04:12 AM

With the camstack removed you can clean the gears under it a whole lot easier. You can see the stitch selector parts a lot easier, too. The one I was working on had a LOT of grease - on one hand a lot of grease is good - you sure won't find rust. But, the grease can get old and gunky as this one did - I got as much of it as I could and put some Tr-flow grease on it. They do NOT need a lot of grease - I don't know why some OSMGs put so much grease on some of them. A small amount of grease is just fine. Too much and the grease flings all over the place then collects lint, etc. In this case it kept the machine from turning right. I will say, I would rather have one that has been cleaned of grease than one that was bone dry and rusted - once the grease is cleaned off it will move very freely. With rust it is much harder to get it to move freely again. I do know there are folks on here who have that know how.

ArchaicArcane 02-19-2013 01:40 PM

Sometimes the issue with the stitch width selector is at the needlebar side of things. At the top of the needlebar with the "door" open, if you push it to the right, it should move about 1/4" to the right, then move back when you release it. If this is gummed up, like the 401A I worked on, it will cause issues at the other end as well. TriFlow is your best friend as usual.

miriam 02-19-2013 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane (Post 5873243)
Sometimes the issue with the stitch width selector is at the needlebar side of things. At the top of the needlebar with the "door" open, if you push it to the right, it should move about 1/4" to the right, then move back when you release it. If this is gummed up, like the 401A I worked on, it will cause issues at the other end as well. TriFlow is your best friend as usual.

yeah what I tried to say - the other end too - if you do one do them both - some kinds of dried up goo take solvent - most often T-F will do the job

I got that machine sewing but it seems like it is still a little slow - I'm running out of goo to un-goo

J Miller 02-19-2013 03:42 PM

Miriam, have you tried cleaning the brushes and armature on the motor?

Maybe a couple drops of 30WT oil on the top of the top bearing?

Joe

miriam 02-19-2013 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5873510)
Miriam, have you tried cleaning the brushes and armature on the motor?

Maybe a couple drops of 30WT oil on the top of the top bearing?

Joe

DH replaced the brushes - and oiled the top bearing. Motor spins great with no load.

miriam 02-19-2013 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5873385)
yeah what I tried to say - the other end too - if you do one do them both - some kinds of dried up goo take solvent - most often T-F will do the job

I bought a T&S over the weekend - it did not sew. To make it work I put T-F in those two places and turned the needle around. Real nice machine for a T&S - I figured I was getting a parts machine and a really coooooool table. Of course I spent the day going over it making sure everything is ok. I think this is the first T&S I have ever liked. It is mostly all metal - just a few plastic parts but nothing critical - I should see if it does chain stitching.

irishrose 02-19-2013 04:11 PM

Miriam, did you get the one with the funny spring holding the bobbin place. That's my problem with the one here. It's a chainstitch convertible, too.

miriam 02-19-2013 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose (Post 5873587)
Miriam, did you get the one with the funny spring holding the bobbin place. That's my problem with the one here. It's a chainstitch convertible, too.

Do you need a part? I have one with the whole insides melted out but that might be good.

irishrose 02-19-2013 05:37 PM

The machine is at my church so I don't have it here, but it does seem like that part needs to be replaced. I really want a slant needle there so I don't have to transport one when we do our mission sewing. Yes, I need the part with the spring. No hurry. I know it may be buried.

miriam 02-19-2013 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose (Post 5873812)
The machine is at my church so I don't have it here, but it does seem like that part needs to be replaced. I really want a slant needle there so I don't have to transport one when we do our mission sewing. Yes, I need the part with the spring. No hurry. I know it may be buried.

I wonder how to get it out