Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Need some help w/identification (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/need-some-help-w-identification-t173349.html)

tedytrser 12-27-2011 10:51 AM

Need some help w/identification

1 Attachment(s)
Hi there someone threw her out at my scrap yard and need some help with what she is TIA

fluffygirl 12-27-2011 12:52 PM

That is a Singer 401 (or 401A). One of the best Singers made in the 50's. Does a lot of decorative stitches and can use top hat cams to do more. If you can get it cleaned up and working you will love it.

Pat

tedytrser 12-27-2011 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by fluffygirl (Post 4815782)
That is a Singer 401 (or 401A). One of the best Singers made in the 50's. Does a lot of decorative stitches and can use top hat cams to do more. If you can get it cleaned up and working you will love it.

Pat

Oh thank you

Sandra in Minnesota 12-27-2011 02:27 PM

Isn't this board great? Somebody knows something about everything! Great going Gals!

cabbagepatchkid 12-27-2011 05:07 PM

Wow!! Lucky for you they didn't know what they were "giving" to you!!!

Candace 12-27-2011 07:30 PM

Holy cow, someone threw it out!!!! That machine is worth good money. People are nuts!

GEMRM 12-27-2011 08:02 PM

I have 2 of these, and they both suddenly jammed (needles down, can't move them). This was right after they had been in for servicing at what is supposed to be a reputable, knowledgeable dealer. I know it's something simple, just out of alignment - any hints where to go for solutions? I have a very mechanically inclined husband who will give a look when time is not so busy, but I just need to know where to look. Workhorse of a machine, and a steady stitcher. I have had one of these machines for 37 years, and the other was my mother's, so it has been in my family at least 40 years.

sharon b 12-27-2011 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by GEMRM (Post 4816920)
I have 2 of these, and they both suddenly jammed (needles down, can't move them). This was right after they had been in for servicing at what is supposed to be a reputable, knowledgeable dealer. I know it's something simple, just out of alignment - any hints where to go for solutions? I have a very mechanically inclined husband who will give a look when time is not so busy, but I just need to know where to look. Workhorse of a machine, and a steady stitcher. I have had one of these machines for 37 years, and the other was my mother's, so it has been in my family at least 40 years.

There was a topic started yesterday I believe that has links to the manual and repair manual- do a search for 401 :)

vschieve 12-28-2011 09:48 AM

Deb are you anywhere near Austin? Northwest Sewing Center on Burnet Rd. is a Singer dealer, and the owner, Mr. Schilling knows all of these models and works on them.

quilt addict 12-28-2011 11:55 AM

You might check for a small thread in the bobbin area. Might be a very small piece.