Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   New Home Treadle Base - Need dismantling help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/new-home-treadle-base-need-dismantling-help-t210711.html)

Minerva1 01-11-2013 11:50 AM

New Home Treadle Base - Need dismantling help

I'm finally to the point where I can concentrate on the base of my New Home treadle machine. The cabinet refinishing went well and we're almost ready to reassemble it. When I cleaned the dirt & dust off the base though, I found a lot more rust than anticipated. I want to re-paint it. We've gotten most of it taken apart, but can't figure how how to get the wheel off. (This is my first treadle and not sure of the terminology.) Or does it even come off?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I did find an "A" stamped on the underside of the pedal (foot plate?). Does that mean it's a Type A?

Patricia

SteveH 01-11-2013 12:18 PM

Pictures are worth a thousand words. If you can post or PM me a picture, i might be able to assist.

I recently did a full disassemble, strip to Iron, then repaint of a 1922 Singer treadle. It was time consuming but not too difficult.

Minerva1 01-11-2013 12:59 PM

4 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]387474[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]387476[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]387477[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]387478[/ATTACH]

Hope these pics help.

SteveH 01-11-2013 02:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
it seems to. If we need to do more pictures, perhaps a bit further back for more of a "you are here" kind of thing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]387506[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]387507[/ATTACH]

I made notes on the picture to try to clarify.

LindaR 01-12-2013 06:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I painted my base with stove blackening paint...it is made to cover the rust on wood burners...it is beautiful
can you see the bottom? it looks new. the old treadles were cast iron so its the same as a wood burner

BoJangles 01-12-2013 06:41 AM

You know we have sandbasted and re-painted several treadle bases without ever taking one apart. Once they were sandblasted, painted, oiled they look beautiful and work beautifully.

Nancy with 15 + treadles all working, all beautiful. Some were rusted up red/rust messes when we got them!

Minerva1 01-12-2013 08:51 AM

Well, the wheel is still attached. Removing the rust & set screws did not help. The thingies (don't know the technical term) that the wheel and turnshaft (?) fit onto do not come off. They are not screws. DH thinks they were tapped in. We don't want to force anything and break the cast iron. So we're moving ahead. Have finished sanding and removing the sanding/rust dust. Taking a break - still getting over a bad cold - and will resume in another hour or so. Planning on two coats of flat black and one coat of glossy black Rustoleum.

Grannyh67 01-13-2013 07:12 AM

I had a friend who had Hers sandblasted, turned out great, that would be my suggestion is have it sandblasted. Then base coat and paint. My DH did one for me and He sanded it all by hand, He spent a lot of time on it and then He put some base paint and then painted it. It turned out beautiful. It would have been a lot easier on Him if we would have had it snadblasted, the next one we will.

SteveH 01-13-2013 10:44 AM

To add to that... remember that cast iron is somewhat fragile and cleaning it by hand introduces a lot of opportunity to damage it.

I recommend after cleaning of any sort to apply a rust preventative as a "wash" and dry prior to painting. Cleaned iron is "hungry" for moisture and is VERY prone to rust quickly. Then apply a primer, and then several light coats of paint. I was told that at the Singer plant they used flat paint and gloss clear coat for protection and depth. I used that process myself and it came out great.

I would recommend removing the cone shaped bearings that the unit pivots on and cleaning out the cavity they ride in as well as the cones themselves, apply grease (I use automotive axle grease) and then reassemble. Treadle-on has a GREAT write up on the whole restore and tune process.