Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   This is NOT going to be fun: Model 12 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/not-going-fun-model-12-a-t207023.html)

DanofNJ 11-26-2012 07:07 PM

This is NOT going to be fun: Model 12

2 Attachment(s)
I picked up a model 12 this weekend, Date 1890 +/-. It is rough on the outside but I can restore that. Probably will make it straight black and possibly add Singer logo. It was seized in two area but now working fine except, to my horror, I discovered that the front assembly that the needle bar rides around was broken. Will need to remanufacture the piece, probably from aluminum, in my shop. This is not going to be easy. Tried to epoxy but that was predictably a waste of time. I will also have to drill out the pins to insert a new casting.

I picked up the machine for 10 dollars including treadle table so I guess I will have to work for it.

JustAbitCrazy 11-26-2012 07:25 PM

Congratulations! You sure seem up to the task. I love the patina on the table. Would love to see the rest of it. I'm sure I've never seen a machine like that. What kind of bobbin is under there?

MimiBug123 11-26-2012 07:25 PM

Cool machine! I hope you get her up and running again.

DanofNJ 11-26-2012 08:27 PM

Correction: The machine is 1871 model...oops.

Serial Number: 891244 745244

happyquiltmom 11-27-2012 04:23 AM

Wow, that is awesome! Hope you can get her running again.

JudyTheSewer 11-27-2012 10:25 AM

That is a nice machine! I like the looks of those fiddle bases. Boy, I do not have the skills for manufacture a part. It is nice that you can do that and saving this machine.

Mizkaki 11-27-2012 01:22 PM

Dan,

I parted out a Singer 12 several years ago. I may still have the needlebar. As usual I am out of town until Saturday.
If you PM me Friday or Saturday to remind me, I'll see if I can dig it out.

Cathy

Originally Posted by DanofNJ (Post 5682022)
I picked up a model 12 this weekend, Date 1890 +/-. It is rough on the outside but I can restore that. Probably will make it straight black and possibly add Singer logo. It was seized in two area but now working fine except, to my horror, I discovered that the front assembly that the needle bar rides around was broken. Will need to remanufacture the piece, probably from aluminum, in my shop. This is not going to be easy. Tried to epoxy but that was predictably a waste of time. I will also have to drill out the pins to insert a new casting.

I picked up the machine for 10 dollars including treadle table so I guess I will have to work for it.

DanofNJ 11-27-2012 06:50 PM

I love this board. A fellow member came to my aide and had a needle bar available for me...Wow!! Mizkaki also offered help and I thank you for that as well. It looks like I will be able to replace the needle bar without having to manufacture the part which is so much better. I'll post the finished piece once done.

Carol34446 11-28-2012 06:09 PM

Wonderful and will be waiting for pictures. Great job rescuing an old machine. Going to see a White Rotary treadle machine Fri, but much more costly than yous but also in gret shape. Will post picture if I get it. They are asking $300, thought it was too much but after looking around in great shape and wroking I guess not. What do you people think?

Carol34446 11-28-2012 06:10 PM

I really do know how to spell, typing is off tonight, sorry.