Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Oh Oh, winter is coming. Where should my machines go? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/oh-oh-winter-coming-where-should-my-machines-go-t201380.html)

quiltingweb 09-24-2012 06:12 PM

I think Joe makes them beautiful again. At this point, I just clean them well, oil them and sew with them to make sure they are working properly. Then, I just gaze lovingly at them, admire their differences, unique qualities, research their heritage...can you tell I'm single? haha...maybe I should be selling them...What do you need?

quiltingweb 09-24-2012 06:14 PM

So Joe, the cabinets that are in disrepair, the ones that have probably spent several years in garages or barns, can I leave them in the garage and just bring their machines in for the winter? I can't imagine they can get much worse by spending one winter in my garage. I could easily find room for the machines, but all those cabinets...argh

barny 09-24-2012 06:21 PM

Weather changes really are hard on woods. We lived in Casper, Wyo. for one year and our solid oak round dining table warped quite a bit from such low humidity in the house. I remember the humidity would be 3 per cent outside, so it's a good idea to watch your woods.

quiltingweb 09-24-2012 06:23 PM

Again....argh... I think the one from the White Rotary might be beyond saving. I think it's gonna stay outside, but the others they should be able to find a place in the house...as for the big round dining room table that's in the garage...craigs list maybe?

Glenn 09-25-2012 06:31 PM

As a rule of thumb if you are comfortable then the machnes and cabinets are comfortable to. As an antique furniture restorer maintain the humidity around 30% and the temp between 68 and 75 F. Your home is perfect for this. Outside in an unheated and and no air building is a no.
Skip

quiltingweb 09-25-2012 07:23 PM

They've been making their way into the house. Thanks for all the information. I've taken the heads out of some of the cabinets that need repairs. I can snuggle them up close to each other until I can get back out into the garage again to work on them.

quiltingweb 09-26-2012 05:56 PM

Hey! You should see how pretty my machines look lined up on shelves in my sewing room! It's so nice having them close by! Thanks for all your input!

Glenn 09-26-2012 05:58 PM

well show us a pic of your shelf full of machines.

Skip

totosmom 09-27-2012 04:24 AM

Yes, a photo is in order! We like photos.

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 5543564)
well show us a pic of your shelf full of machines.

Skip

nygal 09-27-2012 05:05 AM

I only have one a Singer 99. I keep "Grace" in my studio on my cutting table off to the side so I can see her whenever I want. If I happen to come across a second vintage machine I will buy it.