Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Oh Oh, winter is coming. Where should my machines go? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/oh-oh-winter-coming-where-should-my-machines-go-t201380.html)

quiltingweb 09-27-2012 07:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The first picture is the "working" machines. They have all their parts and their cabinets. The second picture is in my sewing room. The top two are my "modern" machines, but not new, by any means. The others all run perfectly, but their cabinets are in various states of disrepair and will need a little TLC before they are reunited. The Franklin I could swap out with the Singer 66, but the two Whites need their cabinets. One is a treadle, the other an electric. The New Home is the one that needs a bobbin and bobbin case.[ATTACH=CONFIG]365907[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]365906[/ATTACH]

quiltingweb 09-27-2012 07:53 AM

Like the paint brush spool holder I have on the Singer? I suppose I could cut that down a bit, but it makes me smile

Glenn 09-27-2012 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingweb (Post 5544610)
Like the paint brush spool holder I have on the Singer? I suppose I could cut that down a bit, but it makes me smile

Great display love it. What a great look for your sewing room. It would make me smile to.
Skip

oregongirl 09-28-2012 04:49 PM

i love the paint brush spool holder! it's charming - and your machines are cute! i think they look happy to be in the house.

quiltingweb 09-29-2012 01:28 PM

Thanks! I like having them here too! I have three others that I need to make room for....maybe a couple of matching end tables in the living room!

k9dancer 10-07-2012 10:53 AM

Just a hint: you might want to remove the pincushion on the arm of what looks like a 66 with the beautiful decals. That's how a lot of the machines got scratches there. What a lovely collection you have!

miriam 10-08-2012 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5538245)
I do not know how many sewing machines I have. I quit counting at 30. All but one are in the house. Eeeeekk!!
The one outside looks like it might be a parts machine if I can't get the needle bar freed up, but it's soaking in oil so it can wait.
There are two treadle tops and base and two cabinets in the garage too. Just no place for them in the house.

The biggest enemy of sewing machines is heat and wet. Keep 'em at a reasonable temperature and dry and they'll last forever.

Joe

That machine already spent a few winters in a shed I betcha - is she still stuck?

quiltingweb 10-08-2012 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by k9dancer (Post 5568741)
Just a hint: you might want to remove the pincushion on the arm of what looks like a 66 with the beautiful decals. That's how a lot of the machines got scratches there. What a lovely collection you have!

I took off the one that "came with" the machine and designed a new one, very soft, with a stiff plastic lining that pins can't poke through.

quiltingweb 10-08-2012 06:24 AM

In the garage, I still have a two White cabinets. One is a parlor cabinet for a treadle that I would like to move into the house. It has a broken leg, but I think if I baby it, it should be fine with a little glue. The other is a Martha Washington cabinet that has certainly spent many summers and winters in the attic of the garage. That one might be spending just one more season out there. There are also two Kenmores and a Domestic that will need to find room here in the house. I've spent time getting them cleaned up and running and I'd like to keep them that way. Plus...if they move into the house, I can get the car AND lawnmower back into the garage.

miriam 10-08-2012 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingweb (Post 5537313)
I've been working on them in the garage, but it's going to get cold soon...and the car wants the garage space. Should the machines come in the house for the winter, just the cabinets, just the heads? Not sure what I should do. The couple treadles I've been using are here in the house, but there are still a few machines that haven't graduated to house status....

Barb

Barb,
Just put them all out on the curb on garbage day... BTW what is your address and when is garbage day???:p:p:p