Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Painted Featherweights at Paducah's Quilt Show (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/painted-featherweights-paducahs-quilt-show-t220243.html)

NikkiLu 04-28-2013 07:47 PM

Painted Featherweights at Paducah's Quilt Show

DH bought me a Featherweight a year ago and is quite familiar with them. We went to the Paducah Quilt Show this week and he saw a booth with lots of painted Featherweights - bright red, turquoise, bright colors. All were very shiny and had new decals on them. Even the foot pedals were painted to match. The man said that it cost him $300+ to have them painted and he wanted about $700 for each one.

DanofNJ 04-28-2013 08:34 PM

I can see that price if they are gilded in solid gold. Otherwise, from the standpoint of someone who has done resprays...ridiculous!

Candace 04-29-2013 07:15 AM

My opinion is that prepping for repainting, doing it the right way with automotive paint, decal work etc. takes a lot of time and effort. That time and effort has to be paid for.

patchwork 04-30-2013 06:32 AM

I have had a painted FW for several years and I paid lots for it. But it was totally referbused and I love taking it places and everyone wants one. I have a collection of FW and some forsale. Mine is Purple of course.

leaha 04-30-2013 06:39 AM

I have 4 featherweights, 2 are black and one is shimmering green and one is a lovely shimmering blue, I paid dearly for the painted ones and to me are so worth it, I love them!!

gramquilter2 04-30-2013 06:59 AM

$300 is what I have seen to have a Featherweight painted. So $700 maybe, if you want it bad enough.

KalamaQuilts 04-30-2013 07:03 AM

That price also has to include what they paid for the machine in the first place. They may get lucky once in awhile but standard price for a FW is around 300.00.
I wouldn't pay for one, but it is because I really practical, and I'm not crazy about the FW that I do have.
If I were younger and didn't have cancer I'd probably snap one up :)

I have a steel body Janome 6600...would love to see it properly painted!

solstice3 04-30-2013 04:17 PM

and I thought the guy here asking $450 for a painted one was out of line!

quiltjoey 04-30-2013 06:50 PM

My little black one will suffice... I could buy a lot of fabric for $700! And I am so spoiled with my Viking (fixing, needle up/down, self-adjusting tension, cutting button, etc.). I just have all the others, mostly, to play with and dream of the people who used them and their families they sewed for... To each his own and what ever "floats one's boat"!

Surfergirl 05-02-2013 12:34 PM

I repaint the singer 301 and featherweight sewing machines and I can tell you from experience that it is a lot of hard work. It's expensive to do and it is very time-consuming. It is worth every penny that is charged...and more! Besides, they are so beautiful when repainted.