Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Pfaff Treadle 31 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/pfaff-treadle-31-a-t179170.html)

jrrotunno 02-12-2012 06:56 PM

Pfaff Treadle 31

I purchased the Pfaff treadle in a simple oak mission style (I think) cabinet this afternoon. Price was good enough to take a chance on fixing her up. I don't have pictures yet as she is still in the garage. She definitely needs some work to clean and spiff both her and her cabinet up, but nothing too difficult I hope. I did not see any rust anywhere, everything did seem to turn and move. And the bobbin case is there along with a couple of bobbins. It is a model 31, SN2109725. The harp seems really short just a little over 6". The tension assembly is on the left towards the back rather than in the front like some pictures I have found of model 31's. Very plain jane with no decals. But hey, she's a Pfaff! Her parts don't seem all that dirty, but the head has some gouges down to the metal on the top. Who would do that??? There is also one by like that by the stitch plate. The cabinet also has some chips to the veneer, total abuse it seems like. Not too many accessories, but that is okay. Fixing this up and learning more will be an adventure!

Janyce

Caroline S 02-13-2012 08:18 AM

We would love to see some pictures. I have not seen a Pfaff treadle. Interesting.

jrrotunno 02-13-2012 11:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of pictures of the Pfaff. I still think she can be spiffed up since there is no rust, not even in the bright sunlight. Not sure how to tackle the paint issue but it is not insurmountable I don't think. My goal is to clean her up, and get her running, then think about the paint issues. Her serial number indicates a 1927 manufacture date according to ISMACS.
Janyce

quilt addict 02-13-2012 12:31 PM

Oh nice, I really like that cabinet. Haven't seem one like that. It is so nice when the center the treadle with the needle.

purplefiend 02-13-2012 02:02 PM

Your Pfaff kinda looks like my Singer 15-90; the tension assembly is in the same place. It looks like its in fairly good condition for its age.
Very nice machine!

Caroline S 02-13-2012 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict (Post 4972034)
Oh nice, I really like that cabinet. Haven't seem one like that. It is so nice when the center the treadle with the needle.

Ditto quilt addict. Beautiful and different cabinet. It is the first time I have seen a Pfaff treadle.

Bennett 02-13-2012 03:07 PM

Interesting! I like the cabinet too. Does the machine stay up all the time, or is there a way to fold it down for storage?

Nanamoms 02-13-2012 07:06 PM

She looks pretty good from here!! I LOVE the cabinet...clean lines!!

miriam 02-14-2012 03:45 AM

I don't see any paint issue - just looks like wear - nothing wrong with wear - that machine got used to make stuff. If the wear is causing problems just put on of those cheap cutting mats or a big magnet over the bed - most of the time it shouldn't matter.

JMCDA 02-14-2012 04:30 AM

an old Pfaff is bound to be a good machine. I have seen those cabinets before...but I though that it was a homemade job - will have to look closer next time I see one.