Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Pink Atlas in Clinton (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/pink-atlas-clinton-t254735.html)

wesing 10-03-2014 06:58 PM

Pink Atlas in Clinton

I ran through the GW store on my lunch hour today and saw an old SM case. Lifted the lid and there sat a pink Atlas machine. It had all its plates, bobbin case, and at least one bobbin. It even had the pink pedal, and the original case with Atlas on the outside. I was going to plug it in til I saw the price tag: $99.99. I will keep an eye on it and see if anyone buys it before they mark it down. I don't really need it, but with all the original parts it would be fun to have in the collection. I'm thinking I would pay up to $45 if it sews.

KenmoreRulesAll 10-03-2014 07:51 PM

Few machines are prettier than a pink Atlas. $100 at GW? Seems high, especially when it was donated. But maybe that initial price will ultimately work in your favor.

May your predator/prey instincts be rewarded and may the sewing machine gods smile upon you!

Cari-in-Oly 10-03-2014 09:17 PM

Having all the plates is a super bonus. I agree though that they priced it high. The most I've paid for a machine at Goodwill was $50 and I don't think I would do it today unless it was something special. Yeah, I'd pay $50 for the Atlas though. If I was still buying. Which I'm not. Really.

Cari

quiltsRfun 10-03-2014 10:34 PM

Silly me. I probably would have taken it at $100. But then I'm not a regular GW shopper so I wouldn't know better. A pink Atlas is on my "want" list.

miriam 10-04-2014 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun (Post 6914547)
Silly me. I probably would have taken it at $100. But then I'm not a regular GW shopper so I wouldn't know better. A pink Atlas is on my "want" list.

It might be a bit of a drive. An Atlas is well worth the money if it is in good working order.

Caroline S 10-04-2014 04:09 AM

I paid a lot more than that for my PINK Atlas. But only because I really, really, really wanted one.

yobrosew 10-04-2014 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll (Post 6914457)
Few machines are prettier than a pink Atlas. $100 at GW? Seems high, especially when it was donated. But maybe that initial price will ultimately work in your favor.

May your predator/prey instincts be rewarded and may the sewing machine gods smile upon you!

Our GW prices high, also. If antique, priced as such. Absolutely no deals. Like, hello?????? I really am going to pay $5 for a used Walmart shirt that I can buy on sale at Walmart new for $2 ????? I scored though the other day. In the blankets/quilt area was a blanket that looked like an overwashed polar fleece material. No,no,no. Not pfleece but Merino Wool and beautiful! It wasn't marked which meant between 5 and 10 dollars and would not know until got to register. Well, my goods -- a little cracked crock priced 2.99, a measure cup marked .99, and the queensize blanket/spread all rang up to 4.99. Go figure! I came home and washed the spread and my, oh, my how beautiful! But scoring like this at our GW is very, very rare.

KenmoreRulesAll 10-04-2014 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by yobrosew (Post 6914662)
Our GW prices high, also. If antique, priced as such. Absolutely no deals. Like, hello?????? I really am going to pay $5 for a used Walmart shirt that I can buy on sale at Walmart new for $2 ????? I scored though the other day. In the blankets/quilt area was a blanket that looked like an overwashed polar fleece material. No,no,no. Not pfleece but Merino Wool and beautiful! It wasn't marked which meant between 5 and 10 dollars and would not know until got to register. Well, my goods -- a little cracked crock priced 2.99, a measure cup marked .99, and the queensize blanket/spread all rang up to 4.99. Go figure! I came home and washed the spread and my, oh, my how beautiful! But scoring like this at our GW is very, very rare.

Nice! There's nothing quite as satisfying as finding great deals on stuff you'll actually use.

I began thrift store shopping (including GW) in high school in the '80s. (I was going through an 'alternative' phase, complete with punk hair. Don't ask.) During this period, I noticed that prices suddenly began rising and I assume that word got out that thrift store diving was becoming cool.

It used to be that you could find screaming deals at GW but since everyone is wired and thus eBay is now setting the prices for everything, those days are pretty much over. And if someone sees a Singer 15-91 for $250 on eBay in fair condition, then GW's $99 price is a steal, right? (Doesn't matter that the eBay Singer will never sell.) CL is the best source in my area, i.e. people needing to sell things quickly for cash, free stuff, etc. and I've found other deals at smaller thrift stores and Value Village (a national chain of thrifts that includes Savers).

Another eBay effect has to do with those who buy at GW and other thrifts, then turn around and throw it on eBay for 400% markup. I don't fault anyone for adding to their income but this contributes to the upward spiral of prices on used goods.

And as I implied above in my earlier post, GW is supposed to be a THRIFT store, not a hoity-toity Ye Olde Antiques Shoppe. They're getting this stuff for free because tax law allows write-offs and it makes more sense to donate and make a claim on one's return than try to sell it. (I should add though that our family accountant has mentioned that the federal government is cracking down on write-off valuations. Just a word of warning.)

I'm betting there are bureaucrats in some non-descript office building in suburban Washington, DC cooking up some scheme to make all CL transactions taxable. You saw it here first!!

/rant over

Blackberry 10-04-2014 06:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by wesing (Post 6914393)
I ran through the GW store on my lunch hour today and saw an old SM case. Lifted the lid and there sat a pink Atlas machine. It had all its plates, bobbin case, and at least one bobbin. It even had the pink pedal, and the original case with Atlas on the outside. I was going to plug it in til I saw the price tag: $99.99. I will keep an eye on it and see if anyone buys it before they mark it down. I don't really need it, but with all the original parts it would be fun to have in the collection. I'm thinking I would pay up to $45 if it sews.

I hope you are able to get this machine. I found one on CL for $50 with the original pink pedal and Pink & Black case with Atlas written on it. But I was wondering what you mean by having all of its plates. Here is a picture of mine. I just love it.

Mrs. SewNSew 10-04-2014 06:45 AM

I do not understand our Goodwill and their pricing schedule but I hear some of your getting screaming deals on machines at 5.99 and am amazed! We are also overpriced on shirts and such. Sewing machines have had a variety of prices and the most I have paid is 50.00. That seems to be the going rate on a black Singer. I was lucky enough to find a 201 and another day a 99 there. I usually see Kenmores there and no matter how badly beaten up they are priced at 39.99. ??? Anything else I have seen there has been cheaper. I saw a nice White Rotary in a nice table for 25.00 last week. I didn't have any interest but someone did as it sold fast.