Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Pinning and which machine will hate this the least? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/pinning-machine-will-hate-least-t209414.html)

ArchaicArcane 12-27-2012 04:30 PM

Pinning and which machine will hate this the least?

So I have two items I'm trying to make. Yes, actual sewing projects for a change.
Both are portable ironing board style projects.

Laying on the table prior to any stitching, they stand a full 1/2" tall. If I pin all of the layers (5 of them) they compress to about 1/4", but there's a "wow" where the pin is. Does this matter? Will it still look fairly flat once it's sewn? Does it sort of "shift" the layers a little, or no?

Because there's a layer of heat resistant fabric that I think will show any "do overs", I'm hesitant to start to stitch it....

The layers go: Top fabric (quilting fabric thickness), 2 layers of warm tater, 1 layer Insul-brite, 1 layer heat resistant fabric (think old style ironing board fabric)

Ideally, I'd like to stitch this upside down (the HRF at the bottom) for less movement and better piercing power, but I have to "draw" the design I'm following on the silver side, in order to get it somewhat straight.

So my next question, to keep it on topic for the V.A.M.E. forum.... which of my machines do you all think is least likely to want to cause me bodily harm for forcing this on it?

happyquiltmom 12-27-2012 04:39 PM

I use my 401A for heavy-duty sewing. I've done canvas, vinyl, denim (all several layers). Be sure to sew at a slow speed, and don't sew over the pins. And...

Don't forget to use your walking foot!

DogHouseMom 12-27-2012 04:41 PM

I can't answer the question about which machine ... but can make a suggestion about pinning it. Don't :)

Consider using a glue stick instead of pinning. The pins through that much fabric will distort it a bit and the machine that is best for sewing through that bulk may not be the best machine for sewing over pins.

ArchaicArcane 12-27-2012 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by happyquiltmom (Post 5744123)
I use my 401A for heavy-duty sewing. I've done canvas, vinyl, denim (all several layers). Be sure to sew at a slow speed, and don't sew over the pins. And...

Don't forget to use your walking foot!

Hey Cindy! Thanks for this. I "worry" about my 411G, just because I don't think the motor is the same as the 401A in case something goes bad, so maybe I'll use the 401 or the 503. The 503 has been worked more here, and it's rock solid. Sewing over pins scares the beans out of me anyway. I've hit them in the past and not had it go well.

I guess I'll learn how to use my walking foot tonight. :)

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 5744127)
I can't answer the question about which machine ... but can make a suggestion about pinning it. Don't :)

Consider using a glue stick instead of pinning. The pins through that much fabric will distort it a bit and the machine that is best for sewing through that bulk may not be the best machine for sewing over pins.

Glue stick? I hadn't heard of that before... interesting. I will google that and see what the procedure is. Thanks, Sue! If I can get the cat to leave it alone long enough to glue it, I'll see if I can have a go at it shortly here.

francie yuhas 12-27-2012 10:06 PM

A featherweight with the proper needle will work well.

ArchaicArcane 12-28-2012 01:47 AM

Hey Francie, you might be right. I had thought it was a nasty job, but in the end, the HRF was a lot more pierce-able than I'd thought it would be.

That said, I think the 400 series machines have a bigger clearance between the needle plate and the presser foot than a featherweight has and it was a shoving contest to get all of the layers under the walking foot on the 411G. I didn't win, I think I tied! I had to raise the throat plate a little just to cover the feed dogs so that they wouldn't catch the fabric as much. ( I was concerned that they would tear it, it was that tight.) Then of course a few times I forgot to lower the plate, because I couldn't see it. :)

I was half way through the one, and realized,.. hey! in essence... I'm machine quilting. LOL! I'm not the swiftest at 2am I guess. Now I just have to make and install a binding, handle and a couple of fasteners and the portable ironing mat is finished. Since you all helped me out, I'll post a pic of it too. The binding might take me a few days though, I have no idea what I'm doing, so I've been reading tutorials and stuff.

happyquiltmom 12-28-2012 06:46 PM

Congratulations on getting through it!

MimiBug123 12-29-2012 11:30 AM

I would use my 15-91 or my 66 treadle. Either of those will sew through anything!!!

DanofNJ 12-29-2012 07:58 PM

Without a doubt I'd go for the 201. They can sew through sheet metal and still smile!!

cricket_iscute 12-29-2012 09:22 PM

My Singer 401 would handle that without a walking foot, and would not shift the fabric. I vote for both the 401 and the glue stick.