Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Plastic repair (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/plastic-repair-t228542.html)

J Miller 08-22-2013 04:29 PM

Plastic repair

2 Attachment(s)
I have a question for some who might know more about plastics than I do. That would probably be most of you.

I'm working on an Emdeco Mdl LT-72 ZZ and multi stitch with cams machine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]431754[/ATTACH]

and the hand wheel is cracked. It's plastic with a steel sleeve in the center. Here's a pic of it:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]431752[/ATTACH]
The plastic is hard, kind of like PCV, but I really don't know what kind of plastic it is. I'm guessing it's from the 60's or 70s if that gives someone a clue.

Once I find an adhesive I'll glue the crack, then clamp it tight with screw clamps till it cures.

OH, yeah finding a new one is an option I'll be following, but I won't be holding my breath.

Thanks.

Joe

jlhmnj 08-22-2013 06:10 PM

Hi Joe,

Though not an expert opinion, I'd try an epoxy and be on the lookout for a replacement hand wheel if for resale. Hope your feeling better.

Jon

J Miller 08-22-2013 07:22 PM

Jon,

Feeling a bit better, but not as much as I think I should. Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy.

Will have to make a trip to the hardware store for epoxy, I'm running short.

Joe

Cecilia S. 08-23-2013 01:43 AM

Plastic never really properly can heal; especially since it will be receiving torque whenever the handwheel is touched/moved by hand. I would not only epoxy it, but also create a permanent brace around the circumference of the wheel. Think of a dental retainer, or a large hose clamp, but obviously something more attractive than a hose clamp.

Caroline S 08-23-2013 07:22 AM

I agree with Cecilia. I KNOW you can figure out a temporary fix for it Joe. How about your OSMG? He might have a parts machine lying around. Or perhaps someone here on the VM board?

oldsewnsew 08-23-2013 08:07 AM

If it shares any parts with Brother type clones, u might find a swap from a thrift shop clinker...?

J Miller 08-23-2013 10:29 AM

I haven't done anything to it yet. Still cogitating on it. Next time I go somewhere I'll take the hand wheel to the LSMG and see what if anything he might have.

I have no idea what other brands of machine this one might share parts with, but if anyone here has an Emdeco that's dead and has a good hand wheel, we can compare notes and maybe work a deal.

Joe

miriam 08-23-2013 02:01 PM

does the hand wheel off that old junky rusted up machine fit on there, Joe?

J Miller 08-23-2013 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6251469)
does the hand wheel off that old junky rusted up machine fit on there, Joe?

Hmmmm, I don't know. It hadn't occurred to me. I'll go get it and find out.

Joe

J Miller 08-23-2013 03:48 PM

Drat, nope it won't fit. The center hub is offset way more than the one from the Emdeco.

Good idea though.

Joe

-------------------------------------------------

***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts :) .***