Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Problem with 328K foot pedal (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/problem-328k-foot-pedal-t265019.html)

RIDGEFIELD 05-09-2015 01:17 PM

Problem with 328K foot pedal

I can't seem to regulate the speed. It sews so fast, then slow. Not sure if I can get another foot
pedal somewhere. I am assuming that is the problem.

Thank you,
Joanne

J Miller 05-09-2015 02:35 PM

Joanne,

The foot controller is a simple two wire resistance unit. There are both resistance and electronic controllers available for it.

However before you get to the controller let me ask this. When was the last time the machine was thoroughly cleaned and oiled? And make sure the motor belt is not too tight or loose.

As for the controller here is a couple blog entries about them:

Drat, those are two links I lost in the last computer crash. They were from ArchaicArcane's blog.
If you PM her I'm sure she can give you the links, or someone else who reads this might have them.

Also if the controller is the button type, you can disassemble it and clean the insides, making sure there is no corrosion or broken pieces in there. That also might help.

JArrrghhhhh, I'm sorry I couldn't be more help.

Joe

RIDGEFIELD 05-09-2015 02:53 PM

Joe,
Thanks for the quick response. I just bought this machine and it seems like it was well taken care of. I did oil it and was really clean on the inside. I will check the belt and also email ArchaicArcane's. Thanks again.

Joanne

Rodney 05-09-2015 05:03 PM

Which Ridgefield? I grew up near the one in SW WA state.
Rodney

RIDGEFIELD 05-10-2015 03:25 AM

Morning,
It's the name of my condo complex and I am in MA.

Joanne

RIDGEFIELD 05-10-2015 03:30 AM

Morning Joe,
I googled ArchaicArcane and found her website that shows you how to take the foot pedal apart to tighten one of the screws. Hopefully I will get the courage to try this. Thanks again for your suggestion and will keep you updated.

Joanne

RIDGEFIELD 05-10-2015 05:26 AM

Joe,
I fixed it. Inside the foot pedal the screws were loose and all I did was tighten them and it works perfect. I only paid $25.00 for this machine two days ago and has all the attachments.

Thanks again,
Joanne

J Miller 05-10-2015 02:30 PM

Joanne,

Glad I could help.

Joe

Jingle 05-10-2015 03:43 PM

I use my 328K so much years ago I had to have a new controller put on it. It would get real hot.

ArchaicArcane 05-10-2015 05:38 PM

Joanne, which screws did you tighten? I just want to check for safety.

The one that runs about 2/3 the length of the foot control and moves when you press the button is supposed to be loose. The rest should be tight. The long one I'm talking about is adjustment and if it's too tight it can cause a fire.

If you followed what was on my blog, you're fine though.