Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Questions for Necchi BU owners (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/questions-necchi-bu-owners-t253617.html)

J Miller 09-12-2014 11:59 AM

Questions for Necchi BU owners

I'm looking at a Necchi BU and trying to justify spending the money. Lord knows I don't need another sewing machine. But ......... what's need got to do with it?

Anyway, on the one I'm looking at the motor bracket is bolted to the head with two bolts in a horizontal line. There doesn't appear to be any way to adjust the motor for belt length. The machine has a rubber band belt on it.

My questions are:
>Is there belt adjustments I'm not seeing?
> Do these normally use the rubber band belts?
>Does yours use the rubber band belt or if not what belt number are your using?

If the machine normally uses the rubber band belts I'll be reconsidering buying it.

Joe

Cari-in-Oly 09-12-2014 12:45 PM

Joe, I can;t remember how my BU motor was mounted but I'm sure since it's an external motor there's some adjustment there. No, that stinkin belt is not original. I hate those things with a passion. People buy them because they are the cheapest belt you can get and you don't have to know the exact size you need.

Cari

ThayerRags 09-12-2014 01:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Which model of Necchi BU is it Joe?

Probably not a BU Supernova. They have a cover over the belt and motor. If it’s a BU Nova, the two holes are slotted for adjustment. I’m pretty sure that the BU Mira also has slotted holes under the two horizontal bolts.

CD in Oklahoma

Cari-in-Oly 09-12-2014 01:21 PM

[QUOTE=ThayerRags;6885721]Which model of Necchi BU is it Joe?

Good call CD. When someone just says "BU" I always think of the plain black original "BU" no name as that's what I had. I also see something on one of your pics that's at times another peeve of mine. I'm not fond of the lug belts unless they're the narrow v'd ones because I've found that they don't really fit right in the pulleys of my machines. Guess that's my automotive background.

Cari

J Miller 09-12-2014 01:31 PM

CD,

The machine I'm looking at has the motor bracket like the black one in your second pic, but a different motor.
I didn't see the adjustment slots until I lightened up and resized the pic.
The pictures are not clear enough and the seller doesn't say which BU it is.

Cari,
Me too. I hate the cogged automotive and sewing machine belts. Like all things "New and Improved" they usually don't work like the originals.
I always try to get the regular black V-Belts for the sewing machines, and solid belts for my vehicles.

Joe

ThayerRags 09-12-2014 01:35 PM

The black one is the BU Nova.

CD in Oklahoma

KenmoreRulesAll 09-12-2014 01:47 PM

I have a BU (non-Nova) and a BU Mira. The BU appears to be identical to CD's BU Nova.

J Miller 09-12-2014 01:48 PM

CD,

Ok, if the Nova is black and the Supernova is that greyish color, what color is the Mira?

Also is there any idiosyncrasies I should be aware of on these Necchi machines?

KenmoreRulesAll 09-12-2014 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 6885779)
CD,

Ok, if the Nova is black and the Supernova is that greyish color, what color is the Mira?

Also is there any idiosyncrasies I should be aware of on these Necchi machines?

You weren't asking me but the Mira is olive drab.

Do Necchis have idiosyncrasies? Wow, what a loaded question! :p In a word, YES!!

ThayerRags 09-12-2014 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly (Post 6885737)
Good call CD. When someone just says "BU" I always think of the plain black original "BU" no name as that's what I had. Cari

There is more than one “BU” model Necchi. It’s kind of like leaving off the first 3 numbers of a Kenmore, or the last two numbers of a Singer 15 isn’t it?

Joe, the other photo that I posted is the BU Mira. Supernovas are green or pink.

CD in Oklahoma