Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Quilts made using vintage machines! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/quilts-made-using-vintage-machines-t134918.html)

nanna-up-north 07-26-2013 05:54 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Well, finally, I've gotten a quilt done...... breaking your arm sure does slow you down. I did the top on this one with my 50's FW and I confess.... I quilted it on my Viking 1+. It was too big to do on the FW and all my other machines are at the winter place. I don't have any room here at the cabin. Anyway, I posted this on the UFO challenge site as well since I started this quilt 5 years ago..... and I have a matching top done so there will be 2 for the twin beds in the guest room. After the next wave of company leaves, I'll get the other one finished. It's going to look a little funny in that room with one cabiny-fishy quilt and one Dresden plate quilt but that's the way it's going to be for now....

chris_quilts 07-26-2013 09:39 AM

Nanna;

Love the fishy quilt. It looks fabulous in that bedroom.

irishrose 07-26-2013 09:44 AM

"Gone fishing" I really like your quilt and the repaired machine did a nice job quilting whether it's vintage or not.

JudyTheSewer 07-26-2013 01:19 PM

Nanna, very nice quilt! Perfect for the lake. Will your arm ever be 100%? I hurt my knee a few years ago and had surgery, PT, but it will never be the same. I hope your arm does fully recover.

Nancy, that sounds like fun! We just got a puppy and are taking him along in the trailer. It is fun to get away and take the pets. I don't blame you for no longer wanting to stay in a tent. Your camper sounds perfect!

ArchaicArcane 07-26-2013 01:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer (Post 6197846)
I don't blame you for no longer wanting to stay in a tent.

No kidding!! Ever since we camped in a national park (in bear country) and they parked the tenters next to the stream, I said that's it!! Now we pull a trailer, and the furries can come with us, and I don't wake up grumpy as a bear because my back's sore from sleeping on a rock that wasn't there when I went to sleep.

Here are my latest 2

[ATTACH=CONFIG]426199[/ATTACH]

Pieced on the 301, and quilted either on the 301 or the Pfaff 6122 (not vintage, yet?) I can't recall. (Yes, that's a little embarrassing, since it was only a week or two ago that I finished it. )

My first time trying to follow a stencil. I think free hand is easier.

And this one:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]426201[/ATTACH]

A couple of months ago, not the best FMQ I've ever done (by far) but I'm pretty happy with the liner. This one fits inside the FW case, or a soft sided bag that I have, and protects Eliza. I'm thinking of adding a pocket on that side that hangs down when it's open, to hold scissors and such. Completely assembled and quilted on the 301.

vintagemotif 07-26-2013 02:32 PM

Oneday, I like that you recycle jeans by making them into quilts. Jean quilts can be heavy. I like your pickles too.

Nanna, That's a pretty quilt. Well worth getting it finished. The quilting for each large block looks like it would take some time since the quilting lines go in different directions- lots of threads to tuck inside.

Tammi, The table runner is very lovely with the quilted leaves. I also like the bear fabric that you used for the FW liner.

Glenn 07-26-2013 02:59 PM

nanna-up-north, love the fishy quilt as you know I am partial to them LOL]
Skip

BoJangles 07-26-2013 03:13 PM

Jean, That fishy quilt is perfect for the cabin! I couldn't help but think of Skip when I saw that quilt! You did a wonderful job with the quilting too, I love it!

Tammi, great job on the table runner and the case for your FW! I also have a Pfaff 6122, Jeans and Satin machine. I think that is a 1980ish - or later machine - not really sure! Anyway, the case is really nice, but I'm not sure I'd want to add a place for scissors and such. When that section is dropped down, it'd be great, but I'd be afraid of scratching the machine when it is all up and together around your FW? I especially like the slip cover for the bed of the machine! When that bed is up I always put a piece of fabric there to keep from hitting that thumb screw and scratching the bed - what a great idea! Did you design that cover? If you did, you could sell that pattern!

Nancy

ArchaicArcane 07-26-2013 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 6197932)
Tammi, The table runner is very lovely with the quilted leaves. I also like the bear fabric that you used for the FW liner.

Thanks VM. I saw that fabric and just knew what I was doing with it. I think something about the little FWs just screams "I need to be wrapped in cute fabric". :)

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 6197990)
Tammi, great job on the table runner and the case for your FW! I also have a Pfaff 6122, Jeans and Satin machine. I think that is a 1980ish - or later machine - not really sure! Anyway, the case is really nice, but I'm not sure I'd want to add a place for scissors and such. When that section is dropped down, it'd be great, but I'd be afraid of scratching the machine when it is all up and together around your FW? I especially like the slip cover for the bed of the machine! When that bed is up I always put a piece of fabric there to keep from hitting that thumb screw and scratching the bed - what a great idea! Did you design that cover? If you did, you could sell that pattern!

Nancy

I thought it had more plastic inside than I would have expected for 80s Pfaff. My guess on the Pfaff was actually about '96, only because of something cryptic in the part number of the manual, but you could be right. That said, I love the machine. What do you suppose the difference is between the 6122 Jeans and Satin you have and the 6122 Stretch and Jeans I have here?

My thought on the pocket was somewhere to store things when I was "all set up", I would never leave the scissors especially in there during transport. I feel bad enough when I open the case and find her pedal sitting on her arm. :(

The other thing I've done, I think I saw it on eBay or something once, is put a little rubber bumper on the screw that hits the bed. It's basically the ones you get with the cupboards at IKEA, so the cupboards "thump" closed instead of "Bang". But the FWs seem to like to snuggle in their liners. ;)

I did design this, but I wouldn't know how to go about drafting it into a pattern, not a legible one anyway? ;) My patterns (the home made ones) are usually scribbled on brown packing paper then fudged repeatedly til I get them the way I want.

irishrose 07-26-2013 05:39 PM

Tammi, I love the table runner. I've never seen that pattern done in a scrappy mode. It's much more interesting. You quilted leaves are perfect with the leaves in the fabrics.