Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Quilts made using vintage machines! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/quilts-made-using-vintage-machines-t134918.html)

sewbeadit 11-14-2015 04:46 PM

That is awesome, I love string quilts and sewing with strings, just love the color variations and all. It looks so neat with your sewing machine sitting there, nice machine too, nice job.

Crossstitcher 11-15-2015 06:12 AM

Very pretty. I like the way you could use up a lot of scrap material this way. You did a beautiful job matching up every thing.

Calamity 11-15-2015 09:43 AM

I have a Franklin treadle machine that my nephew gave me recently. I tried quilting a lap quilt and quickly but after much frustration, I can not quilt on it. I've never seen a walking foot but I like you work. Does anyone know if there is a different type presser foot for my machine? If it would give like the one on my new machine I outdoor be able to use to quilt, at least I think so.

HiDesertQuilter 11-15-2015 11:32 AM

Calamity, I looked at Franklin machines on line and if your feet are not back clamping, but are low shank feet that connect by a screw on the left side, you should be able to get a walking foot from: shop.sew-classic. The walking foot I use for my Singer 66 should work for you. It is the Straight Stitch Low Shank Walking Foot. Works perfectly for my treadle. It is made to work with narrow feed dogs which is what these older straight stitch machines have. You could phone them before ordering just to check. They are super helpful. Good luck.

J Miller 11-19-2015 07:58 AM

8 Attachment(s)
It's finally finished. My Wacky quilt that I started back in 2013 went to Macybaby early this year. I built the topper with vintage machines, but with the health issues, move and a lack of space I couldn't get to quilting it. So I asked her if she could quilt it for me when she got her long arm set up and she said yes. It was well worth the wait.
A month or so ago she emailed me and said the backing I sent for it wasn't big enough. Ooopsie! We thought it was but we had underestimated the size of the topper. Turns out it's king size. 1287 3 1/2" squares assembled with the HOTHER and other vintage machines, that took me almost 2 years to do. But it was worth it.

Here's some pics of the quilt:

I can't find the in progress pics but here is the finished topper laid over the bed:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]536061[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]536062[/ATTACH]

Finished quilt on the bed:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]536063[/ATTACH]

We asked her if she any cat patterns for the quilting and she said yes. So
here's the pattern she used.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]536064[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536065[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536066[/ATTACH]

She used a nice green trim of some kind and a matching green thread to attach it and quilt the quilt. The binding looks like it was done with a professional machine or a binder. Perhaps Macybaby will post a comment on how she did it. We'd like a tute cos those we've done so far haven't look anywhere near as nice.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]536068[/ATTACH]
Ambrosia had to see what I was doing.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]536067[/ATTACH]

My wife and I really love the end result. It's nice and warm and not too heavy. Well worth the time and effort it took for us to make it.

Cathy, thanks for quilting it for us, we do appreciate it.

Joe / Elaine

ro 11-19-2015 06:46 PM

very nice patterns.

ccthomas 11-20-2015 06:45 PM

Nice quilt.

earthwalker 11-20-2015 09:27 PM

Joe and Elaine it's a beautiful quilt, love the cat quilting too. The binding is very well done (I am a lover of binding and I like a neat finish). As for your pussycats, they are just gorgeous (they seem to greatly approve of the quilt too). Thanks for sharing.

Rodney 11-21-2015 05:39 AM

Great looking quilt Joe! The cats seem pleased too.
Great job quilting it Cathy!
rodney

J Miller 11-22-2015 08:44 AM

By looking at the binding Cathy did I see one thing different right off from what I have done. Cathy used really small stitches. I've never done them that small. That could be why mine gave me such trouble.
Next quilt I bind I'll use the small stitches and see how that works.

Joe