Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Quilts made using vintage machines! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/quilts-made-using-vintage-machines-t134918.html)

vintagemotif 07-06-2011 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
Ok here's my quilts.

Cherrybsixty,

OMG! That ancient quilt is beautiful -even with stains!
Thanks for posting this quilt! I just love the story that goes with this quilt. I bet you are happy to have rescued it.
Seeing those vintage fabrics reminds me of some of the quilts that my grandmother made and used on her bed. There was one log cabin quilt that I would just marvel at the construction and hand quilting.

I love the quilt that you pieced with the 401A! Looks like you have taken excellent care of your 401; she looks very happy.

Again, thanks for posting! :)

vintagemotif 07-06-2011 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme

Originally Posted by cctx.
I make all my quilts using my vintage machine, but there are too many photos to post.

BTW, nice job on your Blues/Whites quilt.

How about showing 5 or 6 of them? I would love to see them. :-D

I too would love to see one!

cherrybsixty 07-06-2011 08:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Monica,here is a pic of one that my Mom pieced with the 401A and she hand quilted.

Mom's last quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]222161[/ATTACH]

Annaquilts 07-06-2011 08:34 PM

Thank you for your kind remarks. The brown stars are from a Bonnie Hunt pattern that is free on line. I need to elaborate on DH's paper piecing. The idea came from a tutorial here on the board. He sews scrap strips onto adding machine paper that way making "new" fabric. So purple scraps with purple scraps etc. He does not plan to use the strips himself but he told me he wants me to make something out of the strips.

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Great post. I enjoy seeing pictures of people that are doing the actual quilting on the vintage machines too. I am just starting to dabble into using the vintage machines for piecing Singer FW both black and white, singer 401, Singer 301 two tone, Bernina 830 (mechanical) and I am trying to work with the singer 15-91 for the actual quilting. My husband paper pieces on the Singer 301 Mocah.

Anna,
Those quilt tops are handsome! Both are nicely done, and I really love the brown one with the stars-nice pattern. I love seeing everyone's work that they have done using vintage machines! I'm always surprised at how beautifully these elderly machines stitch! Please post photos of your husbands paper-piecing when all is finished!

Charlee 07-06-2011 08:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not a quilt, but I made this shirt for William on a 1946 Singer 15-91. :)

vintagemotif 07-06-2011 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
Monica,here is a pic of one that my Mom pieced with the 401A and she hand quilted.

OMG! That's beautiful! My grandmother loved to do cross stitching on her quilts, and she would make pillow cases.
That is a very pretty quilt!

vintagemotif 07-06-2011 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Thank you for your kind remarks. The brown stars are from a Bonnie Hunt pattern that is free on line. I need to elaborate on DH's paper piecing. The idea came from a tutorial here on the board. He sews scrap strips onto adding machine paper that way making "new" fabric. So purple scraps with purple scraps etc. He does not plan to use the strips himself but he told me he wants me to make something out of the strips.

[/quote]

That can be very helpful! You could always use them as filler strip on the back of the quilt. I sometimes use the scraps this way.

vintagemotif 07-06-2011 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee

Charlee,

That is an interesting motif on his shirt. You did an excellent job. I haven't made a button down shirt in years. I have made jeans and dresses, but not on any of my vintage machines, those were done before I got my first vintage machine last summer. I did help my daughter out with a project this past winter and made numerous pants using my Singer 201K in treadle.

Charlee, I would love to see one of your quilts too!

Charlee 07-06-2011 09:04 PM

Charlee,

That is an interesting motif on his shirt. You did an excellent job. I haven't made a button down shirt in years. I have made jeans and dresses, but not on any of my vintage machines, those were done before I got my first vintage machine last summer. I did help my daughter out with a project this past winter and made numerous pants using my Singer 201K in treadle.

He loves the Alexander Henry Pinup Girl fabrics, and has shirts that I've made using several of them. I bought him this fabric for Christmas, I've just gotten around to finishing the shirt this last week. I have two more of the Pinup fabrics that I need to get made for him...

Using the buttonholer was the most fun, I think!! ;) The next shirt will most likely come off of the White Number 8 VS that I just bought!

I'll have to look and see if I have any pics of quilts done on the old machines...I don't think I've finished one yet! Maybe I should do that next! LOL

vintagemotif 07-06-2011 09:14 PM

Charlee,

He loves the Alexander Henry Pinup Girl fabrics, and has shirts that I've made using several of them. I bought him this fabric for Christmas, I've just gotten around to finishing the shirt this last week. I have two more of the Pinup fabrics that I need to get made for him...

Using the buttonholer was the most fun, I think!! ;) The next shirt will most likely come off of the White Number 8 VS that I just bought!

I'll have to look and see if I have any pics of quilts done on the old machines...I don't think I've finished one yet! Maybe I should do that next! LOL

I still haven't played with any of the buttonholers that I have. I have seen tutorials on how to use them and the end product looks gorgeous. Those buttonholers make very nice buttonholes (from photos I have seen), much better than any modern machine that I have used. I have to complete two quilts before I can play with all the attachments that I have with my vintage ladies. My Davis NVF has some attachments that look interesting, but it is the Singer attachments that I really want to use.

Quilts, clothes, pillowcases, table runners, potholders all done on vintage machines. My list keeps growing!