Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Quilts made using vintage machines! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/quilts-made-using-vintage-machines-t134918.html)

vintagemotif 09-27-2012 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5544209)
Ok I will try again this am to load my latest project. This is a Twister Christmas quilt. Most of the piecing was done on my FW or 301, at home I used my Singer 319 in treadle. I haven't quilted, or bound it yet.

This is a two part quilt. The first part using the 5" squares had to be made into a quilt top. Then I had to cut the whole thing up - row by row - using a Twister ruler. Each row had to be carefully placed in the order it was cut up - sewn together so nothing got out of place to make a second quilt top that has the twister pin wheel look. I am not sure I'd want to do one again - unless it was much smaller. Making a quilt top, cutting it up, re-assembling it is a little crazy![ATTACH=CONFIG]365888[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]365889[/ATTACH]

Nancy, I love your Christmas tree twister!

I too have used the twister ruler for a Christmas theme quilt, but mine wasn't of a tree. I agree with you that it is a lot of work assembling, cutting, and reassembling with a lot of waste. I did use the smaller ruler for some of the waste to make small twisters. Seeing your pretty quilt makes me want to do a wall size quilt. I have seen the cute Halloween theme, pumpkins, wall quilts done with the twister. I might give that a try. Although, it may not get done in time for this year's Halloween.

totosmom 09-27-2012 10:58 AM

BoJangles, those two quilts are adorable! But I agree with you -- I am not much inclined to sew up a top, cut it up (??!!??) and then re-assemble it. Not even sure I could bring myself to do it. But I'm glad YOU did, because they are too cute.

Glenn 09-27-2012 02:40 PM

Nancy love your twister quilt but I don't think I will try one.
Skip

BoJangles 09-28-2012 05:28 AM

Skip, Dorothy, and Monica, Thank you! No Skip, I doubt I do it again. Monica is right, there is a lot of waste when you make the first quilt then use the Twister ruler to cut it all up to make the second quilt. The second quilt is about 3/4's the size of the first one! It was a lot of work - but, hey we have to try all the new raves don't we - just once!

Nancy

thepolyparrot 09-28-2012 05:40 PM

I love your Christmas tree - I might make one from charm squares, too. Those would be nice gifts. :)

I bought the Christmas tree as a kit - but it's only 2½" squares, so a pretty small wall hanging before you put the borders on.

I had received a mini charm pack as a gift in a large Moda order and I made that into a little quilt top - and I do mean little. Even with my own borders and bindings to the 42 mini charm squares, the quilt is only about 11 X 14. I put a double-layer of batting in it to use it as a hot pad on the table. Mercy, what a lot of work for something so small! And what a lot of fabric wasted. :(

I minimized the waste by drawing around the template and then cutting about 1/8" outside the drawn lines, then using about a 3/16" seam allowance.

The waste didn't stop me from getting the twister rulers for charm packs and layer cakes, though. I'm planning to make a big dent in my stash by using 10" squares. :)

The resulting quilts end up about 1/3 smaller than the plain blocks, but they're so pretty when they're done, they're irresistable.

Scakes 09-29-2012 04:43 AM

BoJangles - your twister quilt is gorgeous! I like the Christmas tree quilt top too (before you cut it up). Thanks for sharing.

BoJangles 09-29-2012 05:33 AM

Poly and Scakes, thank you! You know Poly, I have some of those 10" charm packs; and, I have the large Twister ruler also. I doubt I ever make the twister again - but, maybe? I do agree, using the larger twister ruler would be much, much faster. This Christmas tree was not a kit. I used some of my left over Christmas fabric, which I cut up into 5 into squares. The small twister ruler is only about 3 1/2"s so you do lose a lot of fabric. That tree still ended up too large for a wall hanging, though. It is 44 x 52 finished. A small wall hanging would really be cute - and much easier! Come on you all have to try it once!

Nancy

vintagemotif 09-29-2012 10:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Link from Legend of Zelda, my latest and last.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]366457[/ATTACH]

Sewfine 09-30-2012 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 3641550)
I found this pillowcase in my mom's things, I remember her embroidering it back in the 70's. I made it into a doll for my niece, since it was the only one of this pair that I found. Stitched it on my 1956 Featherweight.

I love your doll. It is awesome.

Sewfine 09-30-2012 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher (Post 4363901)
Here is a little girl I made on my 301. A lady on the quilting board made one of these and told us where to get the pattern.
She is a Sunbonnet Sue Door Stop. Her body is a 2L. bottle filled with sand. She will be my christmas present to a secret pal in the qult club.
The pattern doesn't call for her to have a face, but I think if I make another I will make a face and put long hair on her.

Love your Sunbonnet Sue doorstopper. I have made a lot of these for ladies at the hospital I work at.