Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Repainting a Featherweight Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/repainting-featherweight-sewing-machine-t193104.html)

Skyangel 06-29-2012 12:53 PM

My avatar is my 1948 Featherweight repainted purple. Just looking at it makes me smile. I bought it about 3 months ago on craigslist for $140, just happened to be online at night and look about 1/2 hour after it was posted and immediatedly emailed that I wanted it. It is a metallic purple, and I would probably have been my second choice if I was picking a color to paint it (my first choice would be a metallic royal blue). I also have a black featherweight and wouldn't have it reapinted but it is in pretty nice condition. I think this one was probably cosmetically challenged judging by the condition of the case.

Mariposa 06-29-2012 12:59 PM

Quite the variety of gorgeous painted machines! I'd have to vote for the dark purple one with the tole painting on it! :)

Sally J 06-29-2012 03:26 PM

Harrishs--I bet the orange one was the one I was following, very pretty.
Surfergirl- I love the red ones, also saw a candy apple red one that was just beautiful and it became a bidding war on ebay and sold for $3500, wow. I would look at the website provided above, lots of pictures and then pick your favorite color. Let us see it when it's done.

Nanamoms 06-29-2012 07:23 PM

Red, red, red, what else...my fav color...LOL

slk350 06-29-2012 07:30 PM

Beautiful !!!

Suze9395 06-29-2012 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by jlm5419 (Post 5326226)
Here is one I saw at a local quilt show. THere were several there that I was drooling over, including a deep green one with tole painted flowers. It was gorgeous. I also like this one:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]345455[/ATTACH]

Oh, I LOVE that!!

My grandmother was an Okie in California! She moved there in the 30s from Muskogee. She was a wonderful woman.

JMCDA 06-30-2012 04:17 AM

you could buy a black one and take it to an automotive guy to repaint for less than that one ended up costing!

Originally Posted by Sally J (Post 5326899)
Harrishs--I bet the orange one was the one I was following, very pretty.
Surfergirl- I love the red ones, also saw a candy apple red one that was just beautiful and it became a bidding war on ebay and sold for $3500, wow. I would look at the website provided above, lots of pictures and then pick your favorite color. Let us see it when it's done.

JMCDA 06-30-2012 04:21 AM

I have one destined for a repaint and I too can't decide what colour but am leaning towards red if I just paint it...however being an artist I might have to dress it up a little with some flowers etc.

Linda - K. 06-30-2012 08:09 AM

My FW does not need to be painted but I've seen the repainted ones and they are gorgeous! I just don't know what color I would pick if It came to repainting mine. They are all so pretty. One thing I liked about the repainted ones is that the person that did them put the stencils back on them.

ORSunshineQuilter 06-30-2012 10:23 AM

My DH painted one for me with car paint called Chameleon. It turns from purple to green, depending on where the light hits it. It is beautiful and I never fail to get compliments when I take it to class! It's really fun!