Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Repainting a Featherweight Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/repainting-featherweight-sewing-machine-t193104.html)

Nanamoms 12-13-2012 10:43 AM

Oh, Oh, coveting the RED One!!!!

Skyangel 12-13-2012 10:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my purple Featherweight. Her name is Violet.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]382002[/ATTACH]

slk350 12-13-2012 10:50 AM

All of those machines are beautiful. My machine is a treadle. Unfortunately, I'm the one who ruined it. I soaked it in hot water to try to clean the gunk from the inside and the whole thing turned white and I couldn't do anything but strip it down. It WAS in pretty nice condition before and had a really nice Sphinx decal. Now the cabinet is beautiful and I have a naked (bare metal) machine sitting on top. I just don't know if painting it any other color than black might take away from the "treadle look". ??? Although Red is my favorite color.

makitmama 12-13-2012 11:51 AM

just for the fun of it, I 'modeled' some of my heads in my treadle cabinet. The pink Atlas looked amazing. The pink Monarch also. They are both class 15's. But the more modern Morse with all the chrome, looked terrible.
I have a 66 that will need to be repainted. I was going to do it black with the correct redeye decals, but I am considering Alabama Crimson Tide red. That way she and I will match a lot. I already have hot fuschia, purple repaints, and mint, blue, pink, peach, and bright blue original heads. No red.

mindless 09-04-2019 02:14 PM

I dredged up this old thread, because I have decided to attempt a new (paint) look for ... yes... my little black Featherweight.
I just bought from the thrift store.

It's in beautiful shape, works beautifully, has almost pristine decals on it, and unfortunately, it has some kind of fine, misted gray overspray paint all over the whole machine. Even the foot pedal has gray paint on it. (Not positive it really is paint, but I'm pretty sure it is). Makes it look like it is very dusty.
I can get new decals for it, and just repaint it black, but that's too boring!

So....if you were painting it, what color would you pick?
Google sure has lots of ideas. Even polka dots! :)

Also, after searching through the vintage threads here, I am still looking for the best way to strip it down to it's carcass-taking pictures as I go. Does anyone have any suggestions? I did find a few youtube videos, but I'm just looking for advice from all you awesome peeps here.

leaha 09-04-2019 04:46 PM

I have 4 FW 3 which are repainted, one hot pink, one shimmering green and one a beautiful blue, I love, love, love them!~ I only have one black one left, sister, got one and sold one to a quilter I met at the quilt show, gave my white one to one of my 4H students.

cashs_mom 09-05-2019 12:43 PM

I"m still looking for another FW to paint turquoise to match my 66 Mustang. I had that car repainted a couple years ago and have the paint code so it could be an exact match.

quiltingcandy 09-05-2019 02:24 PM

I absolutely love the repainted machines. But for me, colors can bother me if they clash so I would stick with a generic color so not to clash with any fabric I would be sewing. When I would crochet it would drive me crazy if my clothes clashed with the project.

mindless 09-05-2019 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom (Post 8298214)
I"m still looking for another FW to paint turquoise to match my 66 Mustang. I had that car repainted a couple years ago and have the paint code so it could be an exact match.

How fun Patrice! :)

I'm curious. You said "another"..... did you paint the first one yourself? Or did you have someone else do it?

mindless 09-05-2019 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy (Post 8298260)
I absolutely love the repainted machines. But for me, colors can bother me if they clash so I would stick with a generic color so not to clash with any fabric I would be sewing. When I would crochet it would drive me crazy if my clothes clashed with the project.

Interesting. I would not have thought of that. It does make sense.