Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Sears Kenmore zig-zag, model 1752 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/sears-kenmore-zig-zag-model-1752-a-t192239.html)

dinkr36 06-19-2012 05:37 PM

Sears Kenmore zig-zag, model 1752

I recently came into a Zig-zag sewing machine, Kenmore model 1752. Does anyone have any thoughts or knowledge of this machine, it is in fairly good condition, needs some cleaning, has a TON of parts, extras with it... Thanks for sharing, Dana

J Miller 06-19-2012 05:47 PM

Well to look it up I'd need the three digit prefix: Something like 158-xxxxx or 120-491 or like that.

But if it's in good mechanical condition the Kenmores were generally really nice machines. I have three and two of them are wonderful. The third will be eventually.

You gotta pic of it?

Joe

path49 06-19-2012 06:11 PM

The entire model # is 158.17520. The 158 series Kenmores are some of the best machines you'll ever run across. Your particular model has the little needle plate that you can switch from straight to zigzag. If your's is scarred up, they are available on ebay. It also takes a standard low shank foot...also easy to find. I have a 158.17550 that I've used HEAVILY since 1969...made all my clothes, all the kids clothes, all the ex-husbands shirts....& had a home sewing business for several years. It's still my go-to machine....& still sews like new! And sooooo smoothly! Mine also has the switchable needle plate & it's really handy for lightweight fabrics...using the straight stitch side gives you wonderful control and keeps very lightweight fabrics from wanting to go into the needleplate hole like they sometimes like to do with a standard zigzag plate. Get it cleaned up & oiled & you'll love it!

dinkr36 06-19-2012 06:20 PM

I can take a pic and post early next week.. it is 158-17520, found it finally..
Thanks, Joe

path49 06-19-2012 07:24 PM

I just noticed a typo in my post....I've had my 158.17550 since 1970, not '69. Not that that's important! It's a LOT of years either way!

Anyway, your machine was manufactured in 1968-1969. And I'm thinking it had the 1.2 amp motor. If it's in good shape, it'll soon become your favorite machine....

fktsewing 06-24-2012 05:51 AM

I have a 158.1940 Kenmore that hubby bought me in 1976 when our daughter was 6 months old. She is as much a workhorse as ever. She is my back up girl, and can sew on anything including vinyl, leather, upholstery, jeans, etc. The Kenmore's of the 1970's were the last metal gear machines, then they went to plastic to make them lighter and to make sure you would buy another machine when the plastic ones wore out. Clean your 1752, oil her, and enjoy her.
I have to say that I am very lucky---I own 4 of the 6 sewing machines I have always wanted--- The 1940 Kenmore,
the Viking 500, the 1948 Featherweight, the Viking Mega Quilter---the only 2 I am missing are a Brother embroidery
machine and a Singer treadle. Maybe some day, but for now I am content.

Skyangel 06-25-2012 01:19 PM

My Daddy bought everything at Sears and my Mom and I both have 70's Kenmore machines. Mine was a 158-1946 from 1978 (My HS graduation gift). It was my only machine for 25 years and I did everything on it including re-upolster the seat of my Datsun PU. My Mom's was about 1971, 148.xxx and she still uses it for everything. I just serviced it for her this last weekend. She had taken it to a local shop for servicing and about 2 years later it completely stopped moving. Frozen solid. I brought it home and could see the residue of something they sprayed into it, white and sticky goo. I finally got it moving with PB Blaster then cleaned out and lubricated with Tri-Flo. Took it back to her yesterday - she's excited to have her old friend back (she's had mine as a loaner). They are good, solid machines. I also re-homed another Kenmore this weekend, a 1948 117-959 that was in my sister's garage for 10 years from her MIL. It purred after I cleaned and oiled it, then I went over the cabinet with Howard Restore-a Finish. I sold it on CL cheap, but have to thin the herd in preparation for moving early next year. And it went to a good home ...