Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Should We Put Restoration/Repair Labels in Saved Machines? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/should-we-put-restoration-repair-labels-saved-machines-t211737.html)

Monroe 01-22-2013 09:12 PM

Should We Put Restoration/Repair Labels in Saved Machines?

I've been thinking about this for a while now. I've had very old furniture with the name of the maker inscribed inside, and sometimes with an addendum of date and name when honest repairs were made. One was an old Grandfather's clock, another was stained glass repairs to an old hutch. Steve Heeter proposed engraving the slide plate on an amazing Howe resurrection on his thread. Quilts should certainly be labeled. What do you think about putting some sort of label inside a case and under a machine, since they may be separated someday?

ArchaicArcane 01-22-2013 10:19 PM

I found one such label inside the 401A I resurrected this weekend. It was nice to see "some" information about it. I knew by the label that it worked in 1977 and which shop had cared for it. It was a repair tag, not a service tag,.. assuming they're different.

The only thing that makes me wonder about this is our litigation happy society. If I do an honest repair, then Joe Avg gets it after me, botches something, then something happens, it's my name on the machine, not his. :( Quilts, Furniture, etc are not likely to burn your house down or jump stop your pacemaker.

Candace 01-23-2013 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane (Post 5806795)

The only thing that makes me wonder about this is our litigation happy society. If I do an honest repair, then Joe Avg gets it after me, botches something, then something happens, it's my name on the machine, not his. :( Quilts, Furniture, etc are not likely to burn your house down or jump stop your pacemaker.

Yikes, you're probably right:< Once in a while I'll get a machine that has a sticker from the last repair shop that on it. But, they were looking to advertise.

SteveH 01-23-2013 09:37 AM

I think that tagging an item with "serviced by" or "restored by" is cool, but you bring up a good point.

Lucky for me I have access to a final semester student at Hasting Law School.. (my eldest daughter)

i'll ask.

ArchaicArcane 01-23-2013 01:59 PM

Cool! I'd love to know if it's a risk. Of course, your law vs ours, it may be different too. I know a few of the basics: You can't limit your liability. Negligence is un-insurable. You can't sell something you know is unsafe... (which doesn't stop a lot of people OR businesses around here. Some of the unsafe machines I've seen with nothing stating that they should be checked out by an electrician, etc are unreal.)

Then the burden of proof would be on <whom> to prove it was or wasn't my work or was someone else's that did it? <- this is the big one for me.

Monroe 01-23-2013 02:31 PM

Never thought about this idiocy. Seems there's always a way to ruin good deeds.

ArchaicArcane 01-23-2013 02:39 PM

Sorry to bring up the ugly side of these things.
It really has become a CYA society. I hate it, but in this society, I'd hate to see people hang their butts out there by doing a good thing. :( A couple times a month I hear about people "wanting to sue" over the stupidest things. I remember a time when you never heard that word and I'm not that old.

Monroe 01-23-2013 07:24 PM

I was a Nurse Practitioner and became very paranoid about everything. Spent more time documenting an interaction than seeing patients. Just never thought about it with sewing machines since my preference is hoarding treadles for "fixing someday".

ArchaicArcane 01-23-2013 07:31 PM

I've heard that happens in the medical system. I'm immersed in it as well. I work in IT, and people will take you to the cleaners if you even temporarily lose access to data, you don't even have to lose the data. Most insurance companies won't cover an IT person, and if they do, it's 4 to 5 figures a year for the coverage.

Treadles are probably a fair bit "Safer" than the electrical machines, but I'd sure like to hear what SteveH's daughter says.

solstice3 01-24-2013 07:34 AM

I think it is a great idea...similar to maintaining records on your automobile