Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer 201 - cabinet only machine? Inexpensive option for cabinet? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-201-cabinet-only-machine-inexpensive-option-cabinet-t177158.html)

DawnFurlong 01-27-2012 11:08 AM

Singer 201 - cabinet only machine? Inexpensive option for cabinet?

It is my understanding that the 201 is a cabinet only model. I am interested in owning a 201 someday (when the price is right). Many are offered without a cabinet. I know from my searching for a sewing table for my Janome sewing machine - tables seem to be ridiculously priced (in my opinion) - and there are various options out there for building a nice one yourself (Eleanor Burns and turning a farm table into a sewing machine table is the first one that pops into my mind).

What about a sewing cabinet for these vintage Singer machines? How does one go about finding one that doesn't break the bank? Is there an easy way to make one yourself?

Right now I feel I can only consider VSM's that come with a cabinet because of this concern.

Charlee 01-27-2012 11:23 AM

201's also came in cases. It just needs a base to keep the bottom of the machine off the surface.
I see lots of cabinets (sans machines) on Craig's List... just have to make sure they're a Singer cabinet (Kenmore cabinets don't work for a Singer) You have to watch pricing, but should be able to find one for a fairly reasonable price.

DawnFurlong 01-27-2012 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 4916345)
201's also came in cases. It just needs a base to keep the bottom of the machine off the surface.

Can a base be made - or does it have to be bought?

Charlee 01-27-2012 12:16 PM

Absolutely it can be made! :) Glenn would be the one to ask how to go about it...he ROCKS woodworking! :)

DawnFurlong 01-27-2012 12:35 PM

So good to know! I am not into spending hundreds of dollars on cabinets. Need to have options that are wallet friendly, so I am not limited in purchasing another vintage sewing machine should the right one come along. :thumbup:

shnnn 01-27-2012 12:41 PM

the base on the 201 is going to be like your 15 -- it has all the rods and stuff under there, so you can't just plop it on a table. my 15 came in a base built out of 2x4s, and I couldn't tell you where, but I have seen them for sale online. I found my cabinet at the thrift store (ugly! but it works) I was actually looking for a desk to cut a hole in when I found it. --- and you can always swap it into the cabinet your 15 is in

Monroe 01-27-2012 04:12 PM

There are instructions on how to make bases for machines on Treadleon.com. You might be able to find a cradle for your machine that you could mount into a cabinet or table, or even make one. Good Luck!

DawnFurlong 01-27-2012 04:44 PM

I actually realized I might have a cabinet sitting right next to me that would work. I know nothing of cabinets, so do not know how to evaluate. Someone gave me this cabinet free years ago. I have almost gotten rid of it a couple of times, but for some reason did not. I will get my phone and snap a few pictures and post either later today or tomorrow. Maybe someone will either recognize the type - or tell me how to know what machines it *might* work with. I'll measure the opening as well.

miriam 01-28-2012 02:46 AM

Singers will interchange but some singers are bigger than others. Measure the opening and the distance between the hinge pins.

DawnFurlong 01-28-2012 06:29 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Okay, below are some pictures of what I have. I have to admit to being totally ignorant about sewing cabinets. I only kept it all the years because it was in good condition, and I was hoping someday I could use it (though I didn't know how). Had no idea one day I would become so interested in vintage sewing machines.

Opening measures approximately 13-1/4 inches by 19-3/4 inches (it is just shy of those measurements). I measured the space between the hinges inside (hopefully I measured the right thing - took a close up picture of the hinges I measured) - about 12 inches from middle to middle.

I have never been able to figure out how one attaches a sewing machine to this. I think one of the pictures is upside down, sorry about that, not sure how that happened. Thoughts as to what I can use this for? And how does one attach a sewing machine to it?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]306844[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]306845[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]306846[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]306847[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]306848[/ATTACH]