Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer 31-15 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-31-15-a-t213755.html)

feline fanatic 02-13-2013 01:00 PM

Singer 31-15

I was gifted a singer 31-15. Looks like the old girl was a treadle at one point in her life and had a motor attached. She is circa 1920's

I don't have pics handy, will try to post some later but need the vintage experts advice.

There is a rod that appears to be broken right now, or at least it is in two pieces. On piece is threaded for a nut of some sort. It is the lower part that goes from the treadle pad to the motor. The other half that meets the motor is just a rod with what looks like a hand made simple hook (looks like a blacksmith could have made it) and hooks onto the motor somehow. Has the treadle pad been converted to control the speed or do you think it simply engages the motor when in the correct position? there is also a knee bar with a big pad on it. Now on my Bernina the knee bar is simply a lift for the presser foot. But I do know on some of the older electric Singers the knee bar replaced the foot pedal and it was the knee bar that controlled speed. Right now it appears the knee bar isn't connected to anything, presser foot or motor.

finally there is some sort of rod assembly on the back side of the machine head. It too, does not appear to be connected to anything. but if the knee press is to raise and lower the presser foot, I am thinking that may be what this rod assembly is for?

Any guidance from anyone familiar with these machines would be greatly appreciated. I think she is a thing of beauty and would dearly love to sew on her. I don't know about FMQ on it. It would be a fabulous machine to do it with because the harp is at least 9 1/2" but I have 26" longarm for that. I still would like to have her up and running fully.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Born2Sew 02-13-2013 01:49 PM

I guess you could say I have one of those machines too. However, I don't have the room for it and it is still over at my Dad's old house. I think I may have a pdf file that is a manual for that machine if you are interested. I don't know what to make of your description, guess a photo would help. Let me know if you want the file.

quilt addict 02-13-2013 02:42 PM

I am no expert but my guess from your description is the knee bar is a pressure foot lifter. The rod below with the hook is probably part of the assembly that went to the motor. Look forward to seeing the pictures to be more sure.

Mitch's mom 02-13-2013 02:59 PM

The rod behind it is for the presser foot lift which is attached to the rod that is attached to the pad for the knee control. Is the machine is a fancy treadle base or an industrial table? The two rods for the foot control and motor should be joined by a square headed nut.