Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   singer 401A machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-401a-machine-t220096.html)

ragqueen03 04-26-2013 06:59 PM

singer 401A machine

Yesterday while going through my parents' basement i saw what I thought was a desk but my sister told me it was a sewing machine that belonged to my grandmother. I took a piece of the top and lifted it to find a 401A singer. Mom told me I could have it if I wanted it. I like the idea that it looked like a desk but not sure if I can find room for it in my tiny house. But I think I am just going to have to make room at home for it! What do you think?

wesing 04-26-2013 07:27 PM

I think you need that machine. Imagine how much fun it will be knowing that you are sewing on the same machine that your grandmother used. I have a 503a and I absolutely love sewing on it - not the same machine but similar.

masufa 04-26-2013 07:33 PM

I have a 401 among others but I use the 401 for my daily sewing. take it you will love it.

kitsykeel 04-26-2013 09:42 PM

You definitely must take that machine home with you. Not only was it your grandmothers but it is a great machine. I love mine.

Mdaniels 04-27-2013 02:52 AM

I really like my 401 as well--took a little elbow grease to get it moving, but it is a lovely machine :)

Stitchnripper 04-27-2013 04:39 AM

I got one recently at the thrift store and the wonderful members here helped me oil and lube her back into sewing shape. I just made a quilt top on her. Very nice machine. I would keep it if at all possible.

ragqueen03 04-27-2013 05:13 AM

I am definitely going to take her home with me !!!!! Yea! i am limited on space in my little tiny house with a little tiny sewing room but I have decided I would put her in my sewing room and get rid of the sewing table I bought a few years ago at a yard sale. the sewing table I have now I will take to our little sewing group to use when we need extra tables so it alll works out. next I am trying to talk hubby into taking my sister's computer desk that she no longer wants. it looks like a big roll top desk that hides the computer and monitor when not in use. my house is definitely getting a facelift!

Prim Quilts 04-27-2013 07:21 PM

Congratulations, I'm glad you are taking your grandmother's machine home. Definitely a treasure.

miriam 04-28-2013 03:08 AM

You will not find a new machine from any company that can top that in quality built machine. It will do a lot of stitches, too. There is a lot of info on QB about those machines. If nothing else find someone who knows what they are doing to service the machine - you will like it a lot better and it will last longer.

happyquiltmom 04-28-2013 04:56 AM

My 401A is my go-to machine. I've used it quite heavily for 33 years, still going strong!