Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer 66 Turned Into Hand Crank (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-66-turned-into-hand-crank-t215905.html)

Blackberry 03-09-2013 11:48 AM

Singer 66 Turned Into Hand Crank

5 Attachment(s)
I have been wanting a hand crank singer machine for some time but just couldn't afford the price for them as listed on ebay and wasn't lucky enough to find one on CL so one day as I was reading on QB under the Vintage Section someone posted wondering if you could turn a treadle into a hand crank. Well this sparked my interest so I read the post and then hurried downstairs to the garage to see if my 66, which once was a treadle, then made into an electric had the two necessary things. Yes, it had a spoked wheel and yes it had the screw hole below the wheel on the machine base. So I was so excited, I continued to read the replies and then went to the sew-classic website and ordered my hand crank. We finally got it all together and here are some pictures. I have started piecing a basic 16 patch block and I am having so, so much fun. Now, I am so happy that I don't have to do all of my quilting this way because my arm is getting so tired that I have to stop often and rest it. And, of course, I have to provide extra lighting as there is, naturally, no light. I have several vintage machines and I think I am now finished with collecting them. Well, maybe!!!!!!!

ThayerRags 03-09-2013 12:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That’s a nice looking Red Eye. I did the same thing with my 1914 Singer 66-1 Red Eye machine, only I have mine set up to use the thicker Coats & Clark Outdoor thread for light upholstery work. I use it outdoors on the patio or on the tailgate of my pickup to sew seams and hems in old outdoor tarps and covers.

CD in Oklahoma

Tartan 03-09-2013 12:58 PM

I wanted to convert my old 15 clone but it has a solid wheel.:(

Blackberry 03-09-2013 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5916807)
I wanted to convert my old 15 clone but it has a solid wheel.:(

I think you can convert even with the solid wheel. Go to sew-classic.com and I believe she has instructions on how to do it with the solid wheel.

Blackberry 03-09-2013 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags (Post 5916740)
That’s a nice looking Red Eye. I did the same thing with my 1914 Singer 66-1 Red Eye machine, only I have mine set up to use the thicker Coats & Clark Outdoor thread for light upholstery work. I use it outdoors on the patio or on the tailgate of my pickup to sew seams and hems in old outdoor tarps and covers.

CD in Oklahoma

I bet it sews right through that tarp with no hesitation. Don't you just love that power.

miriam 03-10-2013 03:14 AM

You can replace the solid wheel with a spoked wheel - sew-classic has them - you may have to wind bobbins somewhere else though.

Prim Quilts 03-10-2013 06:54 AM

Looks great! I am thinking of turning my Singer 66 into a hand crank also.

mighty 03-10-2013 08:45 AM

Wow, awesome!!!!

Muv 03-11-2013 06:54 AM

It looks really nice now, Blackberry. Well done!