Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer 99 Tension Assembly (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-99-tension-assembly-t175557.html)

dianelmann 01-13-2012 09:32 PM

Singer 99 Tension Assembly

Can I replace the old style tension assembly on a Singer 99 with the new style with the numbers?

Bennett 01-14-2012 09:10 AM

That's an interesting question. I don't really know the answer! :) Looking at the TFSR manual, tension assembly, it kind of looks like they may be interchanegable as long as you are switching out the entire assembly since there are more pieces and the "post" thing holds the spring a little differently.

While not actually taking them off an older 66 and newer 99 I have, they do look like they might be switched out, worth an experiment anyway!

river rat 01-14-2012 01:17 PM

I would agree to what Bennett says, these machines are very basic so try it.

Morag 01-15-2012 12:21 PM

As I remember it, a 99 is a 3/4 machine and the 66 is a full size machine. Might make a difference...don't really know!

Bennett 01-17-2012 08:13 PM

I don't think the tension assembly changed from the smaller to larger machines. Comparing different models, like the 201, 66, 99, and even the Featherweight from about the same period, the tensions look extremely similar. I think most of the parts would be interchangeable if you needed. It's just that the older style Singer tension didn't have the numbered dial, so that added a few pieces to the newer style.

I'm still curious to know whether they would be difficult to switch out. :)

jaciqltznok 01-17-2012 08:32 PM

anyone want to change out my Spartan tension..the spring is shot..somewhere in its life it got snagged on something and pulled it appears!

Muv 01-18-2012 02:49 PM

Jacquie - if the spring has been snapped, but there is still plenty of coil hiding inside, unravel one round of the coil and with a pair of jewellery pliers make a new loop to take the thread. It might take a long time and a lot of quiet cussing, but I've managed it on a couple of machines before now.

J Miller 03-01-2012 01:45 PM

......... resurrecting an old thread ........

Bennett,

The tensioners are easy to remove and replace. One set screw and it's loose. The screw is on the under side of the head just to the right of the tensioner.

How they would work if interchanged I don't know. I have a 99K under repair and it's tensioner is available. I also have a couple 66s that I'd love to have the numbered tensioner on. I'm just leery of changing them out. It's taken a lot of tinkering to get these older machines to run with modern thread reliably so .......

Jacquie,

Sew-Classic has a selection of tensioner springs. I don't know which one your machine takes, but it might be work a look-see if you haven't found one yet.

Joe