Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer Merritt 2016 - should I buy it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-merritt-2016-should-i-buy-t170418.html)

janegb 11-30-2011 10:42 AM

Singer Merritt 2016 - should I buy it?

I have opportunity to purchase this machine for $25.00. It has no attachments. It does have the electrical connectors and foot pedal. The wheel turns easily. No needle or sewing foot. It doesn't look too bad, dusty and a little dirty, but elbow grease will fix that up. Does anyone know anything about this machine. It's very heavy, at least 20-25 pounds. I've looked on internet but can't find anything regarding it. Thanks for reading.

Candace 11-30-2011 01:09 PM

It's not one of the reliable and collectible vintage Singers, so it's either a newer model and/or an older one from the 70's with plastic parts. How bad you do want to buy it? You'd not be out all that much, but if you want a reliable Singer the older, vintage machines can be had for about the same price if you scout around.

miriam 11-30-2011 01:54 PM

I have one of those in my shop - there are parts of it are good....

4dogs 12-01-2011 12:45 PM

how do you know which ones are "good to buy" and which are NOT good? Any way to tell about the dates they are made? just wondering, as I saw one the other day, good cabinet, from the mid 60's, according to the book that was in the drawer.

miriam 12-01-2011 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by 4dogs (Post 4740419)
how do you know which ones are "good to buy" and which are NOT good? Any way to tell about the dates they are made? just wondering, as I saw one the other day, good cabinet, from the mid 60's, according to the book that was in the drawer.

look for all metal - plastic breaks

dublb 12-01-2011 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by 4dogs (Post 4740419)

As far as Singers go look for the ones made before the mid '60's. They changed ofter that!

Dottie Bug 12-01-2011 06:52 PM

My sister had one back in the eightys it sewed good but couldnt find parts for it ,they were sold at sears, Dottie Bug

Carol Jean 12-02-2011 01:56 PM

When I go to look at a vintage sewing machine I carry 2 screwdrivers with me. Usually if the dials in the front ( width & length adjustments ) are plastic; the gears are plastic. I always unscrew the top of the machine and look at the gears. Many good Singers were made in the late 60's & 70's. These machines do not have any plastic parts in them. Believe it or not people don' mind you doing this. They usually look at these machines as ancient while not realizing what gems they have. I hope this helps.

writerwomen 12-02-2011 02:20 PM

Run like crazy-the Merritt are a low end machine designed for Shopko/Pamida etc. We have had several as we restore machnes and nver had one that did not have a fatalistic problem. I would sooner see them fall off the back of a truck.

Candace 12-02-2011 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Carol Jean (Post 4744371)
When I go to look at a vintage sewing machine I carry 2 screwdrivers with me. Usually if the dials in the front ( width & length adjustments ) are plastic; the gears are plastic. I always unscrew the top of the machine and look at the gears. Many good Singers were made in the late 60's & 70's. These machines do not have any plastic parts in them. Believe it or not people don' mind you doing this. They usually look at these machines as ancient while not realizing what gems they have. I hope this helps.

Carol, carrying screwdrivers with you is a really good idea..