Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Singer Puzzle Box Style 11 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-puzzle-box-style-11-a-t254571.html)

ThayerRags 09-30-2014 06:16 AM

Singer Puzzle Box Style 11

2 Attachment(s)
I’ve had a puzzle box since 2009 that I knew was missing some parts, but I never had looked closely to see what was missing. I’ve also been collecting orphaned parts from yard and estate sales for about 8 years. Since I’ve been using my 1901 Singer 27K2 a little lately, I decided to see if I could get an attachment set put together for it.

The puzzle box that I’ve had is a Style 11, but I think my machine would have probably had a Style 3 come out with it. Since I don’t have a Style 3, and they’re less common, I’ll use the Style 11 until I can come up with the appropriate one. I have assembled what I think is a complete Style 11 box, and while researching it, I think I’ve figured out one reason that they call them “Puzzle” Boxes.

The puzzling part to me is why the Instructions for the Style 11 attachments refer to “The Foot Hemmer No. 26152” for felling, but I can’t for the life of me see it in the photo of the set. Where am I missing it?

CD in Oklahoma

Rodney 09-30-2014 07:02 AM

IIRC the felling foot has a slightly different curve at the front where the fabric feeds in than the regular hemming foot. I think I have one (most likely not the same part#) here but finding it would be tricky. My attachments are completely disorganized. Right now they're stashed here and there in boxes, ziplocks and anything else I can put them in. A project for a different day.
Rodney

SteveH 09-30-2014 07:08 AM

I have the same set, 100% complete with the original manual and I also have the Foot Hemmer" as a separate part not shown in the illustration. Just rattles around in the box

Also, why would yours not be a set #9?

Macybaby 09-30-2014 07:54 AM

I'm not sure, did Singer have a set #9 for both VS and IF machines?

Or is #9 for IF and #11 the same set for VS? Since some of the attachments and mounting points on the box are different, one would think they would use different set numbers, but maybe not.

Ok- found a #11 for both VS and IF - so now trying to figure out the difference between #9 and #11

Macybaby 09-30-2014 08:01 AM

Ok- #9 has a different style ruffler, hard to tell with the photos in the manuals online. Looks like everything else is the same though. Not sure on the shirr plate, often they don't have any good pictures of that particular attachment.

Since #9 manual does not list part numbers, they may not have been stamped on the attachments. My earlier sets have the single/two digit number, and the later sets have the 5 digit part number on them. The are the same part except for that difference.

ThayerRags 09-30-2014 08:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 6909876)
....why would yours not be a set #9?

I don’t know. Maybe it is?

The only difference that I can see between the two is a difference in the shirring plate, which is half-covered in both photos.

Also, the lever on my tucker is different than both photos, but the same as I see in most puzzle boxes called “11”. I wondered if there had been an improvement to the tucker in later sets.....

CD in Oklahoma

Macybaby 09-30-2014 08:09 AM

oh my - just found an Ebay listing - seller is asking a lot for a "complete" rare set,

But it's a fake - it's a VS box with a couple of FW bobbins, with a back clamp ruffler, tucker and quilter, but a side clamp hemmer set, and a round bar foot that isn't even Singer. I'm trolling, sent the seller a message since the listing says "almost complete set" when it's far from that LOL.

Still looking for a picture of the other style ruffler.

Macybaby 09-30-2014 08:25 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-1889...item486faadccb

This one shows the #9 style ruffler. This would be a VS set, not sure if it's #9 or an earlier set that used the same ruffler or not.

ThayerRags 09-30-2014 08:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My set has this shirring plate and ruffler in it....

CD in Oklahoma

Macybaby 09-30-2014 08:34 AM

That's a clearer picture of the #9 than I was looking at - but the ruffler/shirr plate is very different between the 9 and 11.

I've rarely seen the #9, the #11 is the most common one you'll see. I've seen the ealier style with the long ruffler more often than #9.

Fun stuff .