Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   singer scholastic model #717. yes/no? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singer-scholastic-model-717-yes-no-t222158.html)

foufymaus 05-24-2013 10:34 AM

singer scholastic model #717. yes/no?

I found a singer scholastic for $25 including the cabinet. Is it a good ideathanks to purchase.

MadCow333 05-24-2013 11:06 AM

Run screaming? LOL I think any of those 700 series have plastic gears. Those machines jump timing and such. I guess they are not too much problem for people who fix their own machines. But I would avoid.

I am open to other opinions, as usual.

eta -- The manual is a free pdf download from Singer.

foufymaus 05-24-2013 11:30 AM

Ahh, that's exactly what i was afraid of when i looked at it. LOL I saw plastic knobs and was very hesitant about purchasing. There was also a Morse machine but it was without power and pedal so i couldn't test. :( Thanks for your quick answer :D It was exactly what i wanted to know.

Caroline S 05-24-2013 03:15 PM

I would skip the Singer and grab the Morse even though it does not have a foot controller. Morse sewing machines are awesome. You might even get it real cheap because you can't test it. It does pay to dicker.

foufymaus 05-24-2013 05:01 PM

6 Attachment(s)
The Morse is only 15 bucks with the cabinet (needs lots of work) and a new belt. ;) So it's already pretty cheap. So I'll go back tomorrow and nab it. The sewing machines you see in the background of these photos are Singers: A Scholastic 717 and a Futura II

http://imgur.com/a/GBcSI <-- Entire photo album (eh, it's the same pics here. ;) )
[ATTACH=CONFIG]415307[/ATTACH]
If you look behind this machine that is a Singer Futura II hiding in the background

[ATTACH=CONFIG]415308[/ATTACH]
This is the side, you can see it has a lamp. :D in the background you can see another sewing machine, that is the Singer Scholastic #717
[ATTACH=CONFIG]415309[/ATTACH]
The connector where the power goes and the belt, which is quite literally hanging by a thread. But the motor turns easily when i try with my fingers.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]415310[/ATTACH]
Good Housekeeping approved and it's a Super Dial

[ATTACH=CONFIG]415311[/ATTACH]
As you can tell there is a whole lot of dust on this machine. It sticking on it perpendicular. Here is the motor and it's information.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]415312[/ATTACH]
Model Number? Not sure... if you can identify, i'd be very grateful. I can't tell if it's a Heavy Duty or an Industrial. I'm figuring a heavy duty. *grin* As you can see in some of the pics the cabinet needs help. It looks like it was used as a table to hold drinks. :( But over all it's a pretty machine.

MadCow333 05-25-2013 03:27 AM

Futura 900 and Futura II 920 and Athena and anything else on that same chassis = plastic disposable '70s machines from Hades. Run! ;-)

foufymaus 05-25-2013 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by MadCow333 (Post 6083798)
Futura 900 and Futura II 920 and Athena and anything else on that same chassis = plastic disposable '70s machines from Hades. Run! ;-)

LOL *running as fast as i can.* :D

J Miller 05-25-2013 09:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
foufymaus,

Aren't you in Australia? If not I'm confusing you with someone else. I noticed the Morse has a US voltage motor.

Anyway ... That Morse is a domestic sewing machine. A good strong one, yes, but a domestic none the less. Definitely not a heavy duty or industrial machine.
However having said that it is a lot heavier duty than the plastic Singers in the back ground.

I have one of those machines badged as an American Home and it sews very nice.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]415425[/ATTACH]
For $15.00 I'd grab the Morse. Belts are not expensive, and neither are motors, wiring or controllers..... at least not in the U.S., not sure about AU.

And I wouldn't go so far as to say the 70s and newer Singer were machines from Hades, some of them work very well. But, I also wouldn't depend on them. Those stinking plastic gears have a tendency of breaking just when you are in the middle of a project.
My wife and I had two of them do that to us. :(

Joe

foufymaus 05-25-2013 10:31 AM

I'm from the US. *grin* But i almost was moved to Australia when i was younger. lol I'm on my way over to get the morse if it's still there. :D

foufymaus 05-25-2013 11:39 AM

Alas, it was sold when i went back. Although those singers are still here. Haha :D