Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Which Singers had the round plate surrounding the stitch length lever? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/singers-had-round-plate-surrounding-stitch-length-lever-t230480.html)

J Miller 09-17-2013 07:35 PM

Which Singers had the round plate surrounding the stitch length lever?

My wife and I are trying to remember something. Which of the old style black Singer machines had the round plate surrounding the stitch length / reverse lever.

I can only think of two. The Mdl 15s and the 201s. Were there any more and what would the model #s be?

Thanks.

Joe

nanna-up-north 09-18-2013 03:49 AM

Joe, I think I read that those are the only two with the round plate/stitch length. But I'm no expert....know that someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Macybaby 09-18-2013 05:38 AM

of the old black style, I think those are the only two domestic models that way. Don't know about industrial as I don't look at those pictures much.

J Miller 09-18-2013 08:28 AM

Thanks for the info. No the machine was not an industrial. The one my wife was trying to remember is the one she learned to sew on so long ago.
She distinctly remembers it was the old black style Singer, with a knee bar control and the round plate around the SL / R lever, and she thinks the tension was on the front, not the face plate. And she doesn't think it had a belt. But she can't remember for sure.

Knowing her mom and the way she only bought the best of things my guess is a 201-2. But there is no way to tell now.

Joe

Macybaby 09-18-2013 11:58 AM

I learned on a 201-2 also.

The interesting item - after DH got mine all up and running, I sat down at it and it just felt "right" even though I had not sewn on one for over 30 years! It's strange how the body remembers, even if the brain isn't sure.

I've also have a 15, and though I enjoy the machine, it does not give me the same "memory lane" feel as the 201. So maybe have your wife sew on one for a while and see if it "feels" right.

J Miller 09-18-2013 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby (Post 6301362)
I learned on a 201-2 also.

The interesting item - after DH got mine all up and running, I sat down at it and it just felt "right" even though I had not sewn on one for over 30 years! It's strange how the body remembers, even if the brain isn't sure.

I've also have a 15, and though I enjoy the machine, it does not give me the same "memory lane" feel as the 201. So maybe have your wife sew on one for a while and see if it "feels" right.

Not a bad idea. To really make the test work I'd need a knee bar case to put the machine(s) in.

Joe

Macybaby 09-18-2013 06:52 PM

did it have the knee bar like the portable, or just a knee lever in a cabinet. Most of the Singers put in cabinets had the foot control mounted so it worked by knee control.

That is why I could sew on the 201 in the cabinet, even though my feet didn't touch the floor when I sat on the stool. I could hook my foot around the stool leg and get leverage to operate the knee control.

J Miller 09-19-2013 04:55 AM

The one my wife learned on was a portable. She told me they'd put it on the corner of the table with the knee bar hanging down and she'd go to town on it. She said she, her sisters and her mom used that machine for years until her mom traded it for Bernina. Really PO'd my wife to no end. She'd become attached to that old Singer.

Joe

Macybaby 09-19-2013 05:53 AM

I have an extra knee bar . . . I did not realize they came in two styles (actually three, if you can find the straight one) so I bought one for my portable, only to realize it had the wrong end. Of course, the older style I needed is more $$. Now I'm not sure if I should look for a case that fits the newer style knee bar . . . I really don't need another portable machine.

J Miller 09-19-2013 08:10 AM

Well, I'd probably find a bar for the case I had. Then I'd run into another case down the road. Always seem to happen that way.

Each time we talk about that old machine she learned on my wife tells me more about it. Seems she is child # 7 of 9 and being one of the youngest her older brothers sometimes gave her fits. She tells me one time she threatened one of her older brothers with the knee bar. She was sewing and he kept pestering her.

I get a chuckle when I think of that.

Joe