Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Standard treadle owner still needs help...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/standard-treadle-owner-still-needs-help-t179023.html)

vintagemotif 02-15-2012 01:56 PM

So, you can't get that spider to fit at all. Does it slide in part of the way?

HiDesertQuilter 02-15-2012 05:42 PM

Vintagemotif,
Can you get a measurement as to how wide your post is on your spider? I see yours is solid where mine has a hole in it. I'm thinking mine is missing a piece that should be inside the post. Does just the end of your post fit into the hole of the bobbin race or does the whole thing slip in?

vintagemotif 02-15-2012 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by HiDesertQuilter (Post 4978660)
Vintagemotif,
Can you get a measurement as to how wide your post is on your spider? I see yours is solid where mine has a hole in it. I'm thinking mine is missing a piece that should be inside the post. Does just the end of your post fit into the hole of the bobbin race or does the whole thing slip in?

The entire post fits into the tube with the hole located in the race. It will not go entirely in unless all is lined up just right. I find that I have to have the needle up (naturally) and the race rotated just right for the spider to slide in. Plus for the spider to fully seat in properly, the spring/bar (the little bar on the spider that moves) must be held so that the bar is out of the way.

I had to study the spider and then study the race to figure out how they both work together. Then I just rotated the race until I was able to slide the spider in, trial and error. When removing the spider, I have to do the pretty much the same thing, trial and error or what works and what doesn't.

Even if your spider is missing the center solid that mine has, it should still slide into the hole of the tube in the race.

I will measure later on this evening for you. The natives at home are getting hungry. I best feed them.:)

HiDesertQuilter 02-15-2012 07:20 PM

If you look at your bobbin case and compare it closely with mine you will see they are built different. Mine does not have the overhang that yours has where your spider fits underneath. Also the tube on mine is too large to fit either inside or outside the tube on my bobbin race. It's a no go. Hope others with Standards will post here if they have a spider like mine so we can see what years it will fit. This is very interesting. I think these Standards are a really pretty machine and need kept running. I'm going to keep looking for a bobbin and bobbin case for mine. It moves so quietly when running. Who knows......I just may find one. Keep in touch! And thank you.

vintagemotif 02-15-2012 07:42 PM

I did notice that and also that the bar spring on your spider looks longer and different. So, since the spider doesn't slide into the race bar, then maybe this spider goes with a different machine, not necessarily a Standard.

Your spider may possibly go to another machine. There were some sewing companies that made machines that were able to convert to chain stitching by using a "spider".

This is taken from notes that I had kept from a discussion on another board.

Machines that can convert to chain stitch with attachments:
White Rotaries (not sure if all models convert)(spider & special throat plate)
Domestic VS (spider & special throat plate)
Standard Stout (spider & (not sure but,) maybe special throat plate)
Kenmore several models (spider & special throat plate)

The Standards are pretty machines that have a pretty little hum, like a graceful lady.

vintagemotif 02-15-2012 07:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Measurements of my spider:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]312423[/ATTACH]

miriam 02-15-2012 10:09 PM

Singer 411G and some Singer Touch and Sew machines can also chain stitch

vintagemotif 02-15-2012 11:10 PM

Yup! I knew about the Touch and Throw, but I doubt that crappy machine would have a chain stitch attachment that looked like this one; so, I took it off the list.

I didn't know about the Singer 411G. Thanks!

miriam 02-16-2012 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 4979333)
Yup! I knew about the Touch and Throw, but I doubt that crappy machine would have a chain stitch attachment that looked like this one; so, I took it off the list.

I didn't know about the Singer 411G. Thanks!

neither one looks like that. They have the drop in style bobbin. Maybe someone will do some pics

HiDesertQuilter 02-16-2012 03:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of my attachments box the spider came in. Any info about the box? This should be a clue as to what machine this spider fits. My spider post measures the same as Vintagemotif's tho it looks a bit different. Would be nice to have pictures from other Standard Sewing Machine owners of their bobbin race, spider (if they have one), bobbin case and bobbins along with what year their machines were made. I sure didn't know the other machines mentioned would do a chain stitch. Very interesting!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]312577[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]312578[/ATTACH]