Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Still looking at treadles, and have another question... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/still-looking-treadles-have-another-question-t206712.html)

miriam 11-24-2012 03:28 AM

I would look for one that turns nice and freely and one with a spoked wheel and like she said a reverse lever
Muv - I love your new video on free motion. It works whether you treadle or not - same principles. Here is a link folks - don't miss it - grab a cup of tea! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2tiiZ51J7g
If you get a Singer 15 you will love FM on that!

JustAbitCrazy 11-24-2012 04:45 AM

Littlebear, I had not come across that page, and I learned alot. Ty! Do you happen to know when the Singers began having the reverse feature? Reverse would be nice to have, but not a deal breaker for me, because I quilt almost exclusively, and reverse is seldom used. I don't think I'll need zig zag or other fancy stitches, so I don't think a 1960's machine is for me. I wouldn't mind having an older treadle machine which has a motor added, and which could be powered either way, but again, not a deal maker/breaker for me. Thanks for the info on those other machines---that was something I was wondering about.

pinkCastleDH 11-24-2012 05:33 AM

For a Singer the 15 and 66 would both work fine, though a 201 with the external motor would be quieter. A 115 would work well, too, though they're not as common as the first two. A White rotary would probably be a nice choice as it even has a bit more throat space than the 66 and the 201. Another interesting option would be a Singer 9w - lots of space and a vertical rotary setup should you ever decide to do some free motion work. Maybe a Wheeler & Wilson, too, but I don't know about needle/bobbin availability.

MimiBug123 11-24-2012 09:55 AM

I have a 15 a 66 and a 27. I think if I wanted to do lots of sewing I'd choose the 66. The 15 sews ANYTHING and is a great machine. I love my 27 because it was my grandmothers but the long bobbins really don't hold much thread. I'm working on a dresden plate using the 27 but just piecing the fans. When I get down to the serious work, I'll switch to the 15.

Mizkaki 11-24-2012 12:55 PM

I believe that the Singer put a reverse on their household machines about 1933.

Cathy

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy (Post 5675962)
Littlebear, I had not come across that page, and I learned alot. Ty! Do you happen to know when the Singers began having the reverse feature? Reverse would be nice to have, but not a deal breaker for me, because I quilt almost exclusively, and reverse is seldom used. I don't think I'll need zig zag or other fancy stitches, so I don't think a 1960's machine is for me. I wouldn't mind having an older treadle machine which has a motor added, and which could be powered either way, but again, not a deal maker/breaker for me. Thanks for the info on those other machines---that was something I was wondering about.

JustAbitCrazy 11-26-2012 02:27 AM

Well, as it turns out, I will be getting a free treadle machine from a family member who found out I intended to buy one! Dh and I thought this machine was looong gone! It's a Model 66 made in 1930, with the side screw feet. The decals are worn, because this is the only machine grandma ever had, and she used it alot. I love how the decals are worn, though, because I knew and loved her! It comes with other feet, original very cute and tiny metal screwdrivers, and manual! Grandma bought it brand new, and it has only been indoors, climate controlled! It will need cleaned and polished and a new belt. I can't wait to get it and clean her up!

makitmama 11-26-2012 04:08 AM

lucky you! a loved family machine for you to love too!

Littlebearquiltingboard 11-26-2012 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy (Post 5680285)
Well, as it turns out, I will be getting a free treadle machine from a family member who found out I intended to buy one! Dh and I thought this machine was looong gone! It's a Model 66 made in 1930, with the side screw feet. The decals are worn, because this is the only machine grandma ever had, and she used it alot. I love how the decals are worn, though, because I knew and loved her! It comes with other feet, original very cute and tiny metal screwdrivers, and manual! Grandma bought it brand new, and it has only been indoors, climate controlled! It will need cleaned and polished and a new belt. I can't wait to get it and clean her up!

That's wonderful that you are having your Grandma's treadle. Happy sewing!

JudyTheSewer 11-26-2012 08:19 AM

I am very happy for you. My grandmother's treadle was given to Good Will about 40 years ago (by my grandmother). I remember the hubbub about it since a few of my aunts would have wanted it if they had known it was leaving the house. Now, I would treasure having that treadle. I don't remember its make or model but I remember be fascinated by the treadle peddle. I don't remember ever seeing grandma use it while I was at her house......ah, memories!

JustAbitCrazy 11-26-2012 08:26 AM

Now the only problem is that the seller of the two 1920 Singer Model 66 machines with Red Eye decals (one in a 7 drawer cabinet in good condition, just has some worn shellac, other machine's not in a cabinet) is planning to put them curbside Wednesday! They are in good condition--no rust on machines or cabinet legs, etc. The decals on the one in the cabinet don't look worn and it looks to have all it's parts---just needs a belt. Anyone want to do a rescue? They are in Monroeville, PA. It really bothers me that these two machines may go to a garbage dump.