Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Stuck in reverse Viking 64 30 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/stuck-reverse-viking-64-30-a-t219219.html)

oldtnquiltinglady 04-15-2013 12:00 PM

Stuck in reverse Viking 64 30

This is my first entry into seeking help on a problem that has me baffled to the max. I bought a Viking 64 30 not too long ago, and couldn't get it to run, so I took it to the local Viking dealer (about a year ago) and he fixed it for me ($120 or so), and I brought it home and set it amongst all my other treasures in my sewing room. I don't think I even tried it out when I got it home; just took for granted that it was "fixed".

Now, I want to give this machine to my cousin, and thinking that I don't want to give her a machine that is not working, I started fiddling with the machine, and can't get it out of reverse sewing. I don't know anything about a Viking. I went into a cyber site to see if I could get a little help; and got more confused than I already am. And oh yes, I do have a printed copy of a manual for it that the Viking people sent me when I first got the machine; but it seems to be for a 6000, or 60 30, and is in black and white, so I can't tell where the turning buttons on the front should be located color-wise. The "A" thingy is the one in the back, and there are 3 or 4 others that could be inserted, if I could figure that out; and I can't figure out how to get it out.

And, no, I don't know how to do pictures; and my son is nowhere to be found today. But the same machine is for sale on ebay for $89 with the auction going off tomorrow. (Or was, two days ago, when I was working with this headache.)

So, can I expect a couple of you to turn in here, and give me a hint or two. I am not a complete dummy when it comes to something like this; but I am beginning to wonder at this point.....

Candace 04-15-2013 01:33 PM

This is a typical problem for this series Viking. It's also usually not an easy fix. These machines basically need heavy duty servicing that entails removing all the old grease that has now dried to a wax paste and has caused either the buttonholer to get out of alignment and causes the machine to be stuck in reverse and or a complete resetting of the buttonhole cam inside the machine. Typically the dials are stuck and get twisted and can break no longer available parts inside the machine.

The camstack may have cracked and the take up slide needs replacing if it's an original part. Each of these parts cost $40-$50 each. Labor NOT included.

Many people won't tackle these machines due to the time involved. If you go to the vintageviking group on yahoo, there' s a listing of trusted repair people. Many repair shops throw some oil around inside the machine and call it a day, but there's quite a lot work that needs to be done properly to keep these machines around. I've rebuilt two of the 6000 series machines and can tell you that working on these machines isn't easy or quick.

Ebay machines are sold and the buyer gets to deal with all these issues. They're great machines when an investment of time and money is made. But, I would bet any machine that is not fully operational and is sold on ebay will need at least $200 of parts and labor.

cricket_iscute 04-15-2013 10:29 PM

I can tell you who will be able to help you. Sign up on wefixit, which is a yahoo sewing machine group. Ask Bill Holman your question. He knows. I'm assuming you or someone near you is willing to tackle the repair and has enough tools and patience. This is a group of sewing machine mechanics. I had this problem once and he talked me through it, but I no longer remember the details. I suspect it involved Tri-Flow oil and I recall going in back of the reverse button to free it but, as I said, details are fuzzy. Regarding the cams, the manual should show you. I think the selector has to be on the red dot. (I'm not in my sewing room right now.) Don't force it.

If you have the machine I think you have, it should have a true low gear and allow you to sew slow through heavy stuff. It's one of only two machines made that does, the other being the Elna grasshopper. It's a good machine to have.

Skyangel 04-16-2013 12:59 PM

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/viking...chinespre1980/

This is Bill Holman's Vintage Viking Yahoo group. In the files section, he has a document decribing the fix for the "Viking stuck in reverse" problem. I would say that if your machine was serviced a year ago and has this problem now, it was not serviced correctly. I've had two 6000-series Vikings overhauled ($189 plus parts) and the tech removed, steam cleaned and rebuilt the pattern mechanism to remove the old oil that had it stuck. I had got both of them for nothing (one was $5, one was free) because of the cracked camstack and maintenance issues.

On the other hand both are great machines now (My SIL has one of them) and will sew just about anything with that low gear!

oldtnquiltinglady 04-16-2013 03:12 PM

Thank you to all of you taking time out to answer my questions. I am finally at a point where my son and I can work on the machine, and I'll keep you all up to date on what happens. That "cracked stack" about scared the dumplins out of me.

Aurora 04-17-2013 04:32 AM

I had a 6430 and this is a common occurance if the machine sits idle for extended periods of time and is not used. This was the only service issue I had with my Viking and I used it for 30+ years.

oldtnquiltinglady 05-07-2013 04:09 PM

Well, I have the problem worked out--I have a good friend who looked at it, and wasn't afraid to remove the A cam. He took it out and fiddled with the buttons on the front, getting all the colors aligned, and Heyyyyyy it worked. I took the machine to Louisiana and gave it to my cousin, and she was tickled pink--thanked me all over this computer. I had my daughter find the correct book online, and run a copy for me, and will be mailing it on later on this week. Too many other Dr. things going on this week. It is a beautiful machine; just not my cupatea--I love my Elna.

manicmike 10-01-2019 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Skyangel (Post 6006077)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/viking...chinespre1980/

This is Bill Holman's Vintage Viking Yahoo group.

Bill's group is now at https://groups.io/g/vikingsewingmachinespre1980