Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Success! Little Bit Has Been Vindicated!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/success-little-bit-has-been-vindicated-t197790.html)

Suze9395 08-16-2012 04:26 PM

Success! Little Bit Has Been Vindicated!!

As many of you read, my Featherweight was not packed very well when it was shipped to me and suffered some damage. I did file a case with ebay and the seller has agreed to a partial refund. There were several back and forth messages and he wasn't the nicest person; but, in the end, he agreed to the amount I requested, $50. I wasn't out to be mean or take advantage, I just wanted him to know what he did was wrong. So, I decided to request all the shipping charges plus 10%. It seemed like a fair number.
Thank you to all that encouraged me to follow through. Its not something I would have normally done. In fact, when I told my DH tonight what I had done and the outcome, he seemed a little pleasantly, surprised. :o

cmrenno 08-16-2012 04:32 PM

Good for you!!!

Grandma Peg 08-16-2012 04:34 PM

Sometimes it's hard but you did the right thing.

Jingle 08-16-2012 05:31 PM

I don't think I could have done that and felt good about it. Just me.

KittyKat77 08-16-2012 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 5445463)

Done what? Asked someone who damaged an item you paid for due to carelessness to make good what they broke?

What would there possibly be to not feel good about?

It wasn't the buyer's fault the item was damaged, why should they eat the full cost of the problem? It sounds like she came up with a fair solution, and they resolved it.

Suze, good for you for making sure the issue was resolved and addressed properly. Some people might have gotten greedy, some people might have not followed through, it sounds to me like you kept a balance between the extremes. You have every right to your joy, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. :)

Candace 08-17-2012 06:39 AM

Good for you. He'll likely pack his merchandise better and have a higher regard for getting it there in good condition, now!

chips88 08-17-2012 07:28 AM

amen to the the above post who say good for what you did. it was the only thing you could do . i mean you paid good money for item you didnt buy damaged goods. so good for you...:thumbup:

quiltgal 08-17-2012 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Suze9395 (Post 5445311)
As many of you read, my Featherweight was not packed very well when it was shipped to me and suffered some damage. I did file a case with ebay and the seller has agreed to a partial refund. There were several back and forth messages and he wasn't the nicest person; but, in the end, he agreed to the amount I requested, $50. I wasn't out to be mean or take advantage, I just wanted him to know what he did was wrong. So, I decided to request all the shipping charges plus 10%. It seemed like a fair number.
Thank you to all that encouraged me to follow through. Its not something I would have normally done. In fact, when I told my DH tonight what I had done and the outcome, he seemed a little pleasantly, surprised. :o

You did not say what got broke. Could I possibly help with some replacement parts: www.thequiltgal.com

MattieMae 08-17-2012 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle (Post 5445463)

I agree. I’ve never sold anything on eBay, but I do purchase some things.

My Featherweight arrived with a damaged top spindle. I contacted the seller about the shipping damage. Since I was happy with the purchase and the damage was minor, I requested the cost of a replacement spindle. I bought a new spindle. It never occurred to me to teach him a lesson by demanding a refund of shipping charges plus a 10% penalty.

I read your previous thread about the damage. So, you paid $152.00 for the machine and you got $50 back. Congratulations, you got a Featherweight for $102.00. Did you buy a replacement part? I love my Featherweight.

KittyKat77 08-17-2012 10:00 AM

She said she paid $152 plus $35 shipping charges. $35 should have been adequate to cover more than just chucking the machine in a shoebox and sending it off.

Again, when one pays for merchandise and receives said merchandise in condition otherwise than stated by the seller, it is reasonable to expect the seller to make good. In this case, a refund of shipping charges plus 10% doesn't seem outrageous to expect.