Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Taking a chance... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/taking-chance-t211266.html)

vanginney 01-20-2013 05:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
My little bobbin case is floating on top.....not sure where it goes. And I adjusted 3 screws, my finger is pointed at a shadow area with a screw and there are two more that show up in the lite.

I hate this machine....tell me you have relatives in Regina that I can drop this off at... And will swap :) The cams look confusing. I think I need to step back and breath and oil the working ones.

Give me my black singers any day :)

ArchaicArcane 01-20-2013 06:46 PM

If you're serious, and willing to wait, I will come get it in the spring / summer. We've never been to Saskatchewan. :)
I may have a friend who has family there too. PM me if you decide you can't stand the machine after we troubleshoot it and we'll work something out. Which black machines are you still wanting? I have a couple duplicates and a different "market" to pillage from.

That said, it looks like you don't have the bobbin case in correctly. There's "groove" on the bobbin case, it needs to straddle the ledge on the inside of the hook. It looks like you have it under the ledge in the photos. When the bobbin case is correctly positioned, it will almost "disappear". The bobbin case will be flush with the top of the hook, all you'll see is a seam between the two. Once it's in place, and you put the "removal arm" back into place, it will hold everything tight. Put the screws underneath back to tight. Those (if I'm looking right) will put your timing out if you operate the machine with them loose.

ETA: Don't operate it until you have them tight and turn it one full turn with the hand wheel. If the hook moved at all while the screws were loose, it won't stitch or the needle could strike the hook and break. I will walk you through re-timing it if needed.

vanginney 01-20-2013 07:15 PM

Thanks Tammi - I will try to get the bobbin in correctly and PM you! I have a 201-3, 15-90, 221, and 185.

ArchaicArcane 01-21-2013 08:14 PM

So that then says you still need a (1)27, (1)28, 115, 15-91, 201-2, 99, 66, 192 (spartan).... just to cover the basics. 99s and (1)28s are the 3/4 machines, like a 185. Any of those tickle your fancy?

vanginney 01-22-2013 05:34 AM

201-2! Havent read up on the others, only the ones I have & your getting a rescue with issues! I dont have a good relationship with this rocketeer.

I am totally flexible.

ArchaicArcane 01-22-2013 10:59 AM

They take some serious getting used to if you're used to the black ones. It's OK. :)

I haven't found a 201-2 here yet, but I will keep an eye open for one and let you know. I will tell a few people I know that I'm looking as well. Be warned though, most of them will need rewiring. I'm fairly sure you can also "convert" a 201-3 with the right handwheel, guard, and collar and motor....to a 201-2

hmmm.... now where to get the motor and guard...

All I have here that I haven't bonded with are a 128 and a 99, but I'll keep an eye open.

ArchaicArcane 01-22-2013 11:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I completely forgot. vanginney and I have been discussing this via PM, but in case anyone else needs to know what the bobbincase is supposed to look like when it's properly seated:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]389992[/ATTACH]

Notice how it sits flush, and there's only a thin seam to show there are two pieces? That's correct. Now slide the black retaining lever into place and you're ready to sew.

vanginney 01-22-2013 11:34 AM

Yeah, yeah, if it was only that easy :) You have been very patient Tammi - thanks for your help.

ArchaicArcane 01-22-2013 03:29 PM

My pleasure! I'm sorry we couldn't get you bonding with the machine. As discussed, I promise to come get it, or make someone available for it and do 2 things with it:

1. Give it a swift kick for all the abuse it gave you
2. Restore it and bond with it. :)

My first machine was a slant (290C), much much newer than the 431G, so it's familiar technology to me. Not to mention the 2x401A, 2x411G, and 503 I have here. :) Yes, I'm going to need to shrink that down a little.