Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   today's haul-a nice 15 clone and a set of cams (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/todays-haul-nice-15-clone-set-cams-t173492.html)

MrsBoats 12-28-2011 11:32 AM

today's haul-a nice 15 clone and a set of cams

4 Attachment(s)
I drove the truck and the neighbor down to our Habitat Restore today to pick up a chair, and while she was doing that, I was (of course) looking for sewing machines. I passed on a nice little Kenmore (another one!); it was clean, and a reasonable price, but I don't want a machine to use, I want one to tinker with, so I left it there for someone who will use it, if that makes sense. Then I backed into a table and almost knocked another one off onto my feet. It's a nice little Commander, with snazzy red and silver decals around the bed. I about laughed myself silly when I checked the model number and found it was made for Sears...which means it's near as darn it to a Kenmore. Clearly, Karen's Home for Wayward Kenmores is still open for business! :D I still don't know who made it, but it says C.M.K on the pillar, above the Made in Japan. It's also got variably droppable feed dogs, which I've never seen before.

It's a litte stiff, but everything turns, so oil is the plan of the day. The light works (it's on a separate cord), the motor may or may not-the wiring between the plug and motor is bare and the motor doesn't turn, so I'm thinking a rewire is in the future.

I also picked up a box of cams (for 50 cents), although I have no idea what they'd go to. (The sticker was color-coded for throwing away though, that's why I snagged them.) The Kenmore I passed on took cams, but unless there's something obvious I'm missing, these didn't fit. It looks like the orange one are for variations on straight zigzags-arrowheads and eggs and what not-and the white ones are the fancy ones-the one on the table makes baby ducks. Anybody got a clue what they might go to? Or need them? I'd be happy to pass them on.

Charlee 12-28-2011 11:36 AM

The cams are for a Kenmore! LOL

I have a Kenny that these would fit...but it doesn't work yet...

quilt addict 12-28-2011 11:40 AM

Nice haul for a trip to help a neighbor. Don't you love it when they just fall in your lap!

That Commender is in very nice condition. Enjoy your tinkering!

MrsBoats 12-28-2011 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 4818444)
The cams are for a Kenmore! LOL

I have a Kenny that these would fit...but it doesn't work yet...

Which model? Actually, a few more questions: Are Kenmore cams interchangeable across models, like Singers are? (I know there are two different kinds of Singer cams.) If so, how do they go in? I tried these on the Kenmore that was there and they fit over the center post, but the holes on the outside didn't fit with the post on the outside of the cam receptacle.

MrsBoats 12-28-2011 02:53 PM

The motor does, in fact, work. Smokes like a big dog, but doesn't smell like hot electricity, so I'm assuming old oil and dust. And the wires are still bare (I've got it sitting on a rubber pad, just in case), so a rewire is definitely still planned. Also, under power, the belt is stiff and keeps jumping off the pulley end of the motor. I know I've got an extra 'one size fits most' belt around somewhere; I'll have to see if it fits. I'll douse it in oil again and let it sit overnight-it's still got a sticky spot that I can feel. Tomorrow I'll thread it and see if it sews!

lfstamper 12-28-2011 02:57 PM

The cams fit a Kenmore on the top - they have various decorative stitches on them for embroidery. My machine that has these was bought in 1980. I don't know the model number since I gave it to my son's fiance. I can find out if you need it. Not sure if they are interchangeable across models. Nice find on your new baby.

MaggieLou 12-29-2011 07:33 AM

I think some of the cams are interchangable across models. I've been looking for cams for my Kenmore 158.17030. I have some but want to get the ones I don't have. I think the 28xxx series cams fit several different Kenmores.

BarbaraSue 12-29-2011 12:50 PM

The cams look like they would also fit my Kenmore model 1756 from 1972. I have some cams for it, but I need to get it working first.
I haven't tried the cams of my Kenmore in my Wards machine that uses cams. Don't know if they cross fit or not.

AngieS 12-29-2011 01:01 PM

Very pretty machine. :)