Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Treadle Sewing Machine vs Determined Woman (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/treadle-sewing-machine-vs-determined-woman-t57770.html)

Lacelady 08-05-2010 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Gal
Good for you, thanks for bringing back the memories of my DML teaching me to use her treadle machine back in the 60's, actually when I reflect on that I think it was just that she wanted help cutting and turning all the sheets, does anyone else remember doing that to get more wear out of their sheets?

Gal

Boy do I remember that - I hated having to sleep with a big seam right down the middle of the bed. I guess I am a bit like the Princess and the Pea.

Camiyamoto 08-05-2010 12:37 PM

I love sewing with grandma's treadle machine, though my tension isn't exactly right - still working on it. I first used this machine 2-3 years ago. Took me forever to get my feet coordinated. Since I finished my project I've just looked at it as I walked by. Then last week my brand new machine decided not to work and out came the treadle. I was amazed how quickly it all came back - just like riding a bike!

And, yes, I also remember the sheets with the seam down the middle!

vmdvmd 08-22-2013 01:03 PM

Hello,
I just joined this site this morning. I was thrilled to find out you have the same machine that I purchased today at an Estate sale. I hope you are still following this and the message gets to you. I had a few questions and you seem to really be enjoying your machine. I would like to find out if you know where I can get a manual for this. I know you got yours with the machine but do you have any ideas? I am a complete novice although I did learn to sew at 9 years old on a treadle model and I am surprised that some of it is coming back, especially after 50 years! Also, where do you find the serial or model number on yours? I can not locate it any where but I do know it is a National Vindex B Sphinx. I thought they were all engraved or stamped in but I can find nothing. I am so excited to start using it but I really want to be prepared for all the questions I know I will have. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

SteveH 08-22-2013 01:27 PM

Welcome to the board! I am sure someone will pop in and help you out on this one. It is a bit "new" for my collection (I collect 1880 and earlier machines)

Steve

vmdvmd 08-22-2013 08:23 PM

Thank you.

mendymom 08-23-2013 04:27 AM

Congratulations! You stuck with it, solved a lot of different things, and now treadling is just a matter of practice, like a bike. Have fun!

I know exactly how you feel. I (finally!) got a treadle base this spring, and worked at getting my old machine to sew AND learning to not let the hand wheel roll backwards, at the same time! It seemed I had one problem after another, but I was too stubborn to give up. Then suddenly one morning, everything finally worked. I was over the moon. Poor DH couldn't quite understand me. Fortunately, sm people do. :-)