Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   "Vibrator" named machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vibrator-named-machine-t213394.html)

DogHouseMom 02-09-2013 12:52 PM

"Vibrator" named machine?

7 Attachment(s)
$22.00 and a bit of gas to pick her up. I put a minimal amount of oil and elbow grease on her Japan and she shines nice, but needs a thorough cleaning. A few small nicks to her enamel.

At first I thought it was one of the many re-badged 27's, but it has a stitch length adjustment on the pillar. Then I thought it could have been one of the Franklins, but the Franklins that have stitch length adjustment on the pillar have the tension in a different place. So I'm not sure what it is ... but I like it :)

Under name plate a #6 (model?) and SN seems to be 3237314 ... first 3 might be an 8.

Have not tried sewing with it yet.

J Miller 02-09-2013 01:39 PM

That's a cute little machine. A vibrating shuttle clone. I've seen the name "Vibrator" somewhere, but I can't remember where.

Do you have a treadle cabinet for it?

Joe

Mizkaki 02-09-2013 01:56 PM

Sue,

You have a National made machine. If the bed length is about 13" long then you have what is called the Exp. B.T. Vibrator also known as a 3/4 sized Eldrdge.

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 5849906)
$22.00 and a bit of gas to pick her up. I put a minimal amount of oil and elbow grease on her Japan and she shines nice, but needs a thorough cleaning. A few small nicks to her enamel.

At first I thought it was one of the many re-badged 27's, but it has a stitch length adjustment on the pillar. Then I thought it could have been one of the Franklins, but the Franklins that have stitch length adjustment on the pillar have the tension in a different place. So I'm not sure what it is ... but I like it :)

Under name plate a #6 (model?) and SN seems to be 3237314 ... first 3 might be an 8.

Have not tried sewing with it yet.

DogHouseMom 02-09-2013 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki (Post 5850044)
Sue,

You have a National made machine. If the bed length is about 13" long then you have what is called the Exp. B.T. Vibrator also known as a 3/4 sized Eldrdge.

I measured the bed earlier ... 14.5"

DogHouseMom 02-09-2013 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5849997)
That's a cute little machine. A vibrating shuttle clone. I've seen the name "Vibrator" somewhere, but I can't remember where.

Do you have a treadle cabinet for it?

Joe

Joe ... not yet but we're on the lookout for a cabinet, or a set of irons that we can make a cabinet out of.

Mizkaki 02-09-2013 02:46 PM

Sue,

Then this is a full sized machine. It is made by National. Probably a version of the 'Vindex' model.
The original shuttles usually had 'Eldredge' stamped on the side. Very nice sewers.

Cathy

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 5850068)
I measured the bed earlier ... 14.5"

TinkerQuilts 02-09-2013 02:59 PM

According to the Encyclopedia of Early American Sewing Machines, the Standard SM Co. also made a sewing machine with the name "Vibrator".

harrishs 02-09-2013 07:49 PM

What a great looking machine-----but sorry to say I did get a giggle out of the name.

Candace 02-09-2013 11:23 PM

Hello...Joe...the name should ring some kind of bells. Ooops.

earthwalker 02-10-2013 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by harrishs (Post 5850769)
What a great looking machine-----but sorry to say I did get a giggle out of the name.

Must confess, you are not alone. There's no way they'd market a machine with that moniker these days....too racy by far.

Now back on topic.....Cool machine. Let us know how it works out.