Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Machine with Blanket Stitch? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-machine-blanket-stitch-t207916.html)

lovelyl 12-11-2012 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 5713079)
Lovely, I own a Necchi Supernova that does that stitch that you are looking for. I haven't used it since all the other decorative stitches have amused me. :) I use them in my quilting.

Thanks, Vintagemotif! I will add that to my list of vintage machines to consider. I was beginning to think my original question had been lost in this thread... thanks for getting it back on track!

Candace 12-11-2012 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 5713234)
Candace, I have looked at your quilts. Your work is beautiful!

Thanks:> I do a lot of work on my vintage machines. But any applique or specialty work is usually done on my new machines. The ability to customize length, width and get the stitches exactly how I want is sometimes needed for different projects.

vintagemotif 12-12-2012 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 5713260)
Thanks:> I do a lot of work on my vintage machines. But any applique or specialty work is usually done on my new machines. The ability to customize length, width and get the stitches exactly how I want is sometimes needed for different projects.

Candace,
This can be done with numerous vintage machine that do decorative stitching, adjusting length and width of stitches. I'm able to do this with my Necchi Supernova as well as some of my vintage Singers. My favorite Singer for decorative stitching right now is the Singer 224 in treadle that uses flat cams.

So, I'm curious as to what you mean by customizing on the newer models vs the older. My daughter owns a Janome Threadbanger that I had used a couple of years back, pre-vintage sewing machine years. I used that machine for decorative stitching. The Necchi and Singers have similar capabilities as the Janome. So because I have knowledge of this machine, I don't follow what you are trying to state.

Is it like owning Bernina BSR for FMQ vs just FMQ on any machine? This is only analogy I can think of. Thanks! :)

Candace 12-12-2012 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 5715402)
Candace,

Is it like owning Bernina BSR for FMQ vs just FMQ on any machine? This is only analogy I can think of. Thanks! :)

Kind of. For example, using the Elna SU or any other vintage machine for the blanket stitch (for me) is very frustrating after coming from a modern machine. There are basically only so many adjustments you can do with a vintage machine because the machines are limited by stitch width and length(usually 4 or 5mm) and then there's no way to get that same, exact stitch without fiddling and doing samples(unless you leave the machine as is) and I jump between projects. And, for me, to get a perfect result doing applique with a zigzag or blanket stitch, automatic needle down is very important.

For example, my modern Bernina has 11 needle positions, 9mm wide stitching and 6 mm long max. stitches and the stitches can be customized by a tenth of a mm. and it's easy to go back to the exact stitch I was working on, because I just write down the setting. Most modern machines have similar capabilities.

If someone is just looking for a simple blanket stitch and aren't too fussy with what they need or want, a vintage machine is ok. I need to customize my stitching more than what's available on vintage machines. I just finished a project that has intense applique, both blanket stitch and other stitching, on it and it had to be done with my Bernina. Basically, it's about end result, the ability to customize the stitch, needle down and returning to that exact width and length with ease.

Caroline S 12-12-2012 08:32 AM

Candace I totally agree with you. To me a sewing machine is a tool. You have to use the best tool to achieve your best work. I like my Elna 7300 for the same reasons you like your Bernina. But I still love my vintage machines and each has it's own purpose.

vintagemotif 12-12-2012 08:33 AM

Candace, Thanks! Now I understand. I'm the person that is just happy with the what my vintage machines produce, and I love to tinker with the adjustment settings for the decorative stitches. My needle down is treadling the machine slowly until the needle is in the down position, either by foot or using the handwheel.

I understand fully what you are stating and how to replicate the stitch can be difficult with the vintage machines to those seeking an exact. :)

Oh, your latest project sounds so lovely! Please post a photo of this finished project. I would love to see it!!!