Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-machine-t45897.html)

Scraffy 05-14-2010 06:21 PM

My husband bought an old sewing machine at an auction recently that is about the shape of a featherweight, but is a flatbed. It sets in a small wooden box type platform, and the entire machine fits into a suitcase. It is heavier than a featherweight, and is a light brown color with a textured finish. The machine is marked "International E" and the motor is Hamilton Beach. Although it is old, it is is excellent condition. Does anyone know anything about this type of machine? Thanks for any information you may have.
Scraffy

raptureready 05-15-2010 01:00 AM

When I googled "InternationalE" I got Brother sewing machines. Does it have a model number anywhere?

Scraffy 05-15-2010 07:00 AM

I have tried to look it up also with no success. So far we haven't found any model numbers. Thanks for the help.
Scraffy

Terryl 05-15-2010 07:29 AM

If you post a picture in the vintage sewing machine shop someone may have info for you

Lostn51 05-15-2010 07:43 AM

Hi there, Yes please post photos of the case, machine and any other details you can use to identify it. Maybe we can come up with a maker and more information about the machine.

Billy

craftybear 05-15-2010 08:41 AM

please post a picture for us, thanks

Scraffy 05-15-2010 05:47 PM

Here are two pictures of the machine. My son was able to find a serial number under the bobbin cover/face plate. The number is:3550992

Scraffy 05-15-2010 06:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Oops, didn't get the pictures sent....Let me try again.

Get Attachment
[ATTACH=CONFIG]68314[/ATTACH]

second picture
[ATTACH=CONFIG]68315[/ATTACH]

raptureready 05-15-2010 06:11 PM

It's a beauty. I'm still getting Brother sites everytime I try to look it up. Maybe it's a early one of theirs.

writerwomen 05-14-2011 05:53 AM

Here's part of your ID problem. Companies to capture more of the market did 2 things- put popular topics or names on the machines- such as Universal (universal pictures). The goal of Sears was to convince women they needed a new machine yearly through the machine was the same the scrolling and name would change. National sewing machine company as well as White and others made machines under other names (badge names) for places like Marshall Fields. Because they did not put their own info on the machine they are hard to trace- one odd place to check for info is the underside of the slide bobbin cover. Also to complicate matters further in ID is after WWII the US gave the plans for the Singer 15 and a few others to the Japanese to retool their weapons factors to make items like sewing machines to recover their economy. the American market was flooded with over 5,000 badge names. Several other Europian companies did the same thing after the war as the belief was mistrust in the US of Europe would hurt sales. Try these 2 places for help
International Sewing Machine Collectors Society and the Japanese Collectors Group on Yahoo. Both are great resources and someone may know more. One machine did cause an international rift. The American Beauty- it was made in Japan. Law suits were launched to stop it. We recently worked on and sold an early 1950's American Beauty that was in Mint condition. It was facinating with over 80 built in stitches.