Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

tomilu 02-15-2011 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

Originally Posted by tomilu
You may still be able to get 206 X 1 needles. Although they are being phased out, some places may still have them in stock. when I get a machine that uses an odd size needle, I go ahead and buy at least 100 of them so that I make sure I have plenty.

I thought I had some, but they are 206x13s. Don't even remember what they fit (think senior moment here).

Speaking of senior moments, it IS 206 x 13!!!!!!!![/quote]

OK, guess I need to put these on the classified section. Thanks Miz Johnny!

tomilu 02-15-2011 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend

Originally Posted by tomilu
You may still be able to get 206 X 1 needles. Although they are being phased out, some places may still have them in stock. when I get a machine that uses an odd size needle, I go ahead and buy at least 100 of them so that I make sure I have plenty.

I thought I had some, but they are 206x13s. Don't even remember what they fit (think senior moment here).

206x13 is the correct needle for 206,306 and 319s[/quote]

Thanks for the info!! :D

purplefiend 02-15-2011 03:06 PM

The case for the 301 is kinda heavy empty! I used to have one that I took to classes and quilt bee, I just left the case at home and put in a rolling tote bag.
Sharon

vintagemotif 02-15-2011 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt
By the way... I know that EVERYONE on this thread is wondering..... DID Kim win the Ebay Auction for the white 201k?

The answer is....

No... Kim did not. Kim dropped out of the running at $115. The machine sold for OVER $400!!! LOL!

So now... Billy, VM, Brenda, Nancy, etc.... which one of YOU bought the thing???? LOL I wanna know!

<munch, munch.... homemade donuts are delicious! Thanks.>

I was wondering who might have bought it. I didn't even place a bid since I don't like buying from ebay. My shopping is CLs, Goodwill, vintage stores, or garage sales. Plus, I have my excellent 201 in a treadle.

kwendt 02-15-2011 03:13 PM

Just picked up my 2nd black, 301 short bed. This is a 301, not a 301a (so not made in Anderson). It's got the new Singer 50's logo. And it's dirty and gunked up... The only blem on it is the center release knob on the hand crank is somehow pitted. An easy fix/replace. No other rust or scratches to be found on it. Has bobbin case, and it had the cabinet attachment plate just stuck on it!

Attachments: All great shape and no rust. All the normal ones along with some others. There's something that looks like a quilt bar, another long gizmo I don't know what it is, and a somewhat bent fabric guide? There's another foot, like a long gatherer foot, but with small, D shaped notches on each side.

It also came with the buttonholer, pristine in box, no rust, with cover plate and instruction manual! AND the zig zagger, all cams, instructions, no rust pristine- and it will work with my 15, 201, 221 and 66!

I'll put the other 301 up for sale, fix the wiring on this one... and presto. Pictures tomorrow of before/after... and parts. Happy Dance!!!

kwendt 02-15-2011 03:18 PM

Question for VM wrench heads....

1. This 301 is all gunked up. To get it moving/working again... after the Kerosene bath, I should oil her up. But it seems like the previous person used 3 in 1 or something, cause there's all kinds of tacky brown old oil runs on the surface of the machine. Do I need to use penetrating oil first? What's a good brand to use with VSMs? Or should I stick to Sew Machine Oil (all I have is the Joann's Singer oil... is there a better brand to use?)

Re: wiring. Everything on this machine that was rubber, is rotted. It's been stored a long time. I'll need new rubber feet, winder ring, cords and things. Question is: I can rewire the cords/plugs, but what about INSIDE the machine? Should I 'service' the motor too? I'm betting that's a yes. Does anyone have a service guide for this machine in pdf form they can share???

Thanks all! The adventure continues!

tomilu 02-15-2011 03:31 PM

Here is a tan 301 near Topeka, KS at a good price.
http://topeka.craigslist.org/atq/2209632615.html

BoJangles 02-15-2011 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Nancy Here is one with suitcase that someone is asking $175. Too cute! And bit high in price for me.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/atq/2210026806.html

That machine really looks nice, and it is the long bed. I agree, though, a bit pricey for me. I think the 301 is going up in price as a very desirable machine for classes, next to the FW. Those suitcases are just too funny!

I think that the 301 only does forward, backward, and maybe a zig zag? Don't know for sure, but I don't think they do any decorative stitches? Sharon, what do they do?

Nancy

Shemjo 02-15-2011 03:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I got caught up in the frenzy and brought home a Lotus treadle this afternoon. It has been stored and apparently was in a house with smokers before that. I have a big cleaning job ahead for myself. No attachments, and a rough cabinet with a missing drawer pull, but the decals look pretty good. I traveled 35 miles there and spent $35 on it. When I checked later, there was another lotus on CL for $150, so I feel a little vindicated!
Now I need to find a place to put it in the house! Why didn't I think of that before I went "looking"?

Cindy Lou Who 02-15-2011 03:36 PM

[quote=sewbizgirl]

Originally Posted by Glenn
I am happy for those who love their featherweights. I'd rather find a 99 or a 301 for a lightweight portable, myself.

Sewbizgirl,
The 99 weighs a ton!! The 301 I think is only around 20 lbs but I would consider the 99 too heavy to lug around and use as a class machine.
Cindy