Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

kwendt 02-15-2011 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Ok you guys, this is Willy. He doesn't look like much right now, although, I love him to death! He has very cute little feet to treadle and the painted emblem is on the inside of his coffin top! I am going to re-finish his cabinet with Glenn's tutorial and see if he still remembers how to sew! His last patent date is April 17, 1883.

Nancy

Wow oh wow! Billy will turn somersaults and drool over this one! A Wilcox and Gibbs? Where ever did you find it????

Shemjo 02-15-2011 05:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have a little Willie as well. He has been electrified and is mounted to a board, but I have no cabinet or other information. I have never plugged him in as his connections look a little dicey to me. I have had him for so many years that I don't even remember where or when I acquired him. He just sits on a shelf and looks cute! He has a stitch regulator that actually moves.

kwendt 02-15-2011 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962
Neat Machine. I have a twin to it, cabinet and all, but mine has way worse decals. It sews like a dream though, and seems to like working, so I just do a little sewing on it for fun.

I'm a little 'afraid' to attempt to use the 27 at the moment. Haven't had the time to research too much about that VS business. It's so... well... different. I got used to the vertical feed round bobbins, okay that was not too difficult... but this VS thing has me...wanting to treat it like it's glass or something. Once I get my hands on a manual for it, and figure out how to thread it... maybe I'll have courage enough.... lol. I think I can, I think I can...

luv2learn 02-15-2011 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Ok you guys, this is Willy. He doesn't look like much right now, although, I love him to death! He has very cute little feet to treadle and the painted emblem is on the inside of his coffin top! I am going to re-finish his cabinet with Glenn's tutorial and see if he still remembers how to sew! His last patent date is April 17, 1883.

Nancy

Willy is so cute. . . and I see why those little machines are mistaken for childrens machines when not in the cabinet. . Thay look so tiny. . .I would love to see one of those working. Nice find! I also love the ironwork on those treadles too!

BoJangles 02-15-2011 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
After all the talk about my FW even thou I am not impressed I have decided to keep her. Her name is Josephine, named after a mule my grandfather had--slow and did not like to do work that required much power :lol: But I want to thank you for your good advice on the FW and thank you Nancy for you cleaning advice it did help. Glenn

Glenn I'd be very happy to adopt Josephine if you decide you don't want her!

Nancy

vintagemotif 02-15-2011 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Shemjo
I have a little Willie as well. He has been electrified and is mounted to a board, but I have no cabinet or other information. I have never plugged him in as his connections look a little dicey to me. I have had him for so many years that I don't even remember where or when I acquired him. He just sits on a shelf and looks cute! He has a stitch regulator that actually moves.

I like everyone's Wilcox and Gibbs, but I really love that fabric behind Shemjo's Willy. Gorgeous fabric! What are you making with that?

BoJangles 02-15-2011 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Nancy I really like Little Willy I would go out and play with him anytime. Is that black paint on the cabinet? Glenn

Yes, the lady that owned him got him from her Dad who got him from his Mother! She said her Dad painted everything black, including their house!

Nancy

BoJangles 02-15-2011 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Nancy Little Willy is adorable. Take it to Ladies night out next month and show it off. Kathie

Thank you Kathie, I plan on bringing Little Willy with me. He is the one you called on and the lady told you they were sold - my new New Home T NO 3 on page 665 and Little Willy. So sorry! LOL!

Nancy

BoJangles 02-15-2011 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Shemjo

Shemjo what does it say on your Willy's chrome table? There will be a patent date under where it says Wilcox & Gibbs just in front of the feed dogs. Also, if you can turn him over, what is your SS#. It is on the underside front leg. I am trying to figure out if your machine is as old as mine and just had a motor added or if it is a later version. They made the Wilcox & Gibbs into the 1900's. They were really popular for making hats I know, and during the Civil War were used to stitch uniforms because of the stitch it makes. I am pretty sure mine is a Model 64, and I have several attachments that came in the cabinet -- I haven't gone through them all yet, but there is a Gatherer, a Hemmer, a Quilter foot, and a Ruffler. I found some information on http://www.sewalot.com/willcox_gibbs.htm

Nancy

Kathie S. 02-15-2011 06:52 PM

[quote=BoJangles]

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Nancy Little Willy is adorable. Take it to Ladies night out next month and show it off. Kathie

Thank you Kathie, I plan on bringing Little Willy with me. He is the one you called on and the lady told you they were sold - my new New Home T NO 3 on page 665 and Little Willy. So sorry! LOl
Nancy, you really sound sorry. lol At least he went to a good home so I can forgive you Kathie