Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

BoJangles 02-18-2011 06:07 AM

Miz Johnny I know you said you had come across a few New Home T No 3 machines. Did you ever try and sew with any of them? I printed out a New Home manual, I think you sent me the link, but it is not the T No 3, similar but not the same. Anyway, I can not get the machine to pick up the shuttle thread. I have tried a different needle, got some Boye #4, which is what I think it should use. Also, tried a Schmetz, still can't get it to pick up the shuttle thread. I tried turning the needle and threading from different angles, but no luck. Does any one have a T No 3 machine? I really need to see the threading diagram, but I think even if I'd threaded it wrong it should pick up the shuttle thread?

The T No 3 has a long wire that loops and runs all the way down the face into a little tiny tension spring. It also has a funny looped thread guide right next to the tension spring. I am not sure how to thread this machine, I have never seen one like it. Anyone know? I will take a picture later of the face and post the picture. Billy do you have one?

Nancy

BoJangles 02-18-2011 06:20 AM

I have a second question. I moved my Free treadle pictured on page 627 into the sewing room and I am trying to piece with this treadle. My problem now is that I get a perfect stitch, then the stitch wiggles, kinda bunches a couple stitches, then perfect again? I have been playing with the tension disk because I thought the top thread must be too loose, but now I think it is because the tension take up wire/spring is not working correctly? Or could this be a shuttle tension problem? I watch the needle and you can see when it is going to do a bunching type stitch because the thread kinda bunches up at the tip of the needle as the needle enters the fabric.

Nancy

I love having this treadle in the sewing room. I hope I can get this straightened out so I can use it to piece with!

Lostn51 02-18-2011 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by kwendt
Ahh.... and speaking of odd machines...

I ran across a Singer 328k (made in great britian). Tan in cabinet, uses cams. No accessories, books, or anything included in it. The thrift store wanted $40 for it. Should I consider getting this? It has a hidden belt drive, it looks like. The cabinet is so 50's with only a little side pull out holding almost nothing. ??? Good machine? Or no?

I have one in the Studio but I havent had time to play with it yet. So no opinion here but I have a buddy that loves his 328.

Billy

Billy, by chance would your friend only use heavier fabric with that machine? Like sewing for the bikes or the interior for the cars?

No all he does is quilt with his. I was asking him about it and he said it was one of his favorite machines and didnt care what Bill said about them. (he is on the Yahoo Singer group)

He has the US vrsion of the machine and when he found out I had the K model (which has a different look) he was jumping at the chance to get it. But I told him that it was already sold and that if I found another one I would give it to him.

Billy

Donna Mare 02-18-2011 06:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is another one I am looking at. Whatcha think on this one? Paint looks decent. Alot of accesories in a cabinet.

Lostn51 02-18-2011 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Donna Mare
Here is another one I am looking at. Whatcha think on this one? Paint looks decent. Alot of accesories in a cabinet.

Donna get it if you dont I will!!!! Which reminds me I need to call you dont I?

Billy

Donna Mare 02-18-2011 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Donna get it if you dont I will!!!! Which reminds me I need to call you dont I?

Billy

Ya Ya you do!! LOL> I know you have been busy! My phone is on now!

Weedwoman 02-18-2011 06:43 AM

DH got all the silver (what was left of the few decals) off the Redeye 66. She's shiny black, curvaceous and beautiful. I'm calling her Elvira (Halloween is my fav holiday) I think I'll find some decals just fitting for her. Just couldn't trash her and now she looks outstanding all naked (she runs smoothly too)

Lostn51 02-18-2011 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
DH got all the silver (what was left of the few decals) off the Redeye 66. She's shiny black, curvaceous and beautiful. I'm calling her Elvira (Halloween is my fav holiday) I think I'll find some decals just fitting for her. Just couldn't trash her and now she looks outstanding all naked (she runs smoothly too)

Nothing wrong with a naked lady........er....... I mean sewing machine!! :mrgreen:

Glad she turned out pretty for you and the name is very fitting!

Billy

dirty1mom 02-18-2011 08:24 AM

Hello all. I brought home a Singer treadle last Friday and have been attempting to read all the posts. Last night I got the cleaning supplies - except for the kerosene. My question is - how do I know what new belt to buy? And a new needle? Everything moves freely, so not a lot of clean-up I hope.

BoJangles 02-18-2011 08:38 AM

Donna Mare, that is the Pheasant decal (I am pretty sure, although I have only seen one and it was in very bad shape) and that decal is very hard to find in that condition! Get that machine for sure!

Nancy