Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

vintagemotif 02-18-2011 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Okay lets clarify something real quick here, it does not have to have a spoked handwheel to be in a treadle. If its round and spins and has an external motor you can take off then its treadle worthy.

Billy

YUP! That is how my 201 is set up. It works!

vintagemotif 02-18-2011 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by FarmStitcher

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by FarmStitcher
Morning all, livestock fed, breakfast over with, now down to the nitty gritty~~~ I want to find my first treadle machine and I am thinking the 15-88 would be perfect. I want to piece, quilt and free motion quilt with it. I read on line that, "The 15 has feeddog drop and reverse and the 15-88 came with spoked hand wheel, most often treadle operated, but sometimes equipped with an original Singer motor." Does this one have adjustable foot pressure or would you use a walking foot or just a quilting foot? Does this sound like the best machine for me? Any comments? Sorry for so many questions, but I need to only make one purchase and it needs to be the right one. I can get a 66 anytime, but I don't think I would be satisfied. Love these machines!!
Linda

Linda, I have a 15-88 that I use for Free Motion Quilting. The 15-88 had a reverse, which is really cool. The 15-88 also does drop the feed dogs and you can get a short shank 1/4", generic type, foot for the machine. It takes a normal 15x1 Schmetz needle and is a dream to sew on! Yes, you can adjust the pressure on the foot too. The bobbin for the 15-88 is just a normal bobbin you can find anywhere.

The 15-88 is my favorite treadle and I have 9 different treadles, only one 15-88!

Nancy

Thanks, Nancy, I guess my research was good. Now I have to find one for sale! I appreciate your reply.

Linda

Linda, You can also use 15-89/90 too, but not a 15-91 in treadle. I have a 15-90 in treadle that I only use for FM quilting and it works!
You will need a darning foot, not a walking foot for the FM. The 66s are excellent machines, but the 15s do a better job of FM quilting because of the bobbin setup(vertical) and thread pickup. Have fun shopping!

BoJangles 02-18-2011 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
Thanks BoJangles. I don't know what it is. I keep forgetting to write down the serial number so I can look it up. Hope to have picture soon. The cabinet is of course really bad, but the machine is good.

What it is, I am pretty sure, is a Model 27 with the Pheasant Decal! Probably very early 1900's! What is the serial number? I can almost see it in your picture!

Nancy

Sorry, I am getting these confused! This is suppose to be to Donnamare with the 27 with pheasant decals! Dirtymom1 hasn't posted a picture so I couldn't possibly know what she has! I need to get some work done to unclutter my brain!

BoJangles 02-18-2011 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Linda, You can also use 15-89/90 too, but not a 15-91 in treadle. I have a 15-90 in treadle that I only use for FM quilting and it works!
You will need a darning foot, not a walking foot for the FM. The 66s are excellent machines, but the 15s do a better job of FM quilting because of the bobbin setup(vertical) and thread pickup. Have fun shopping!

Linda, Monica (Vintagemotif) is right, but the problem with getting one of the 15's not already set up as a treadle is that you also have to acquire a treadle to put it in! She is right, the 15-90 is a great machine to take the motor off and make into a treadle if you have a treadle to put it into. The 15-88 is a treadle to begin with so you should find one in a treadle cabinet without too much trouble. I am going to look at another 15-88 from 1949 tomorrow to put in my sewing room as the Free treadle I have in there just doesn't want to be a quilt piecing machine!

My 15-88 that I use for FM quilting sits behind our sofa in the living room. I like having the machine there to use so I can be part of the family in the evening - like Monica uses her 201! And yes, you need to get a FW/Darning/hopping foot for FM - that is what I did. It is nice to have a treadle you can find modern made feet for too!

Nancy

BoJangles 02-18-2011 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by beaniekins
If anyone around here lives near Calgary, there is a Singer 301 on sale there for $50. There is an older Viking listed in the same ad.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ260157367

Geeze, that looks like a good deal for that 301!

Nancy

quiltinglady2 02-18-2011 10:40 AM

She should be Lucy, the most famous red head of all, Lucille Ball

quiltinglady2 02-18-2011 10:42 AM

She should be Lucy, the most famous red head of all, Lucille Ball :thumbup:

FarmStitcher 02-18-2011 11:00 AM

Thanks for the info on the 15, you are all great! And thanks Billy, for this wonderful place. I've learned sooooo much already!
Linda

BoJangles 02-18-2011 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinglady2
She should be Lucy, the most famous red head of all, Lucille Ball :thumbup:

Quiltinglady2, I don't know who you were talking to, but that is a very good idea! My 66 Redeye did not have a name, I now will call her Lucy!

Nancy

Weedwoman 02-18-2011 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
DH got all the silver (what was left of the few decals) off the Redeye 66. She's shiny black, curvaceous and beautiful. I'm calling her Elvira (Halloween is my fav holiday) I think I'll find some decals just fitting for her. Just couldn't trash her and now she looks outstanding all naked (she runs smoothly too)

That is what happened to my Davis VF, Betty, she is all black and shinny for the most part! I think she looks much better that way then with a part of a decal showing!

Nancy

I only managed to save two partial decals on my Davis VF and now I'm wondering if she wouldn't have looked better with them all off but I'm not going to go back and remove them now. I named mine DeWeeze Davis because my stepdaughter, whos name is Tina Louise, found her for me.'
Long story short, she could never say Louise, it always came out Tina DeWeeze so the kids still call her that and I just couldn't name a 126 yr old Tina, so DeWeeze it is.