Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Kathie S. 05-23-2011 10:21 AM

Nancy[/quote]

I might have to drop by one of these days and surprise you all! Its not like I wont be in the neighborhood in a way, I have a date in SoCal to go machine hunting. :D Billy

Billy we will take you up on that. Just realize that So Cal if about a six to eight hour drive from us. Kathie

Suzi 05-23-2011 10:32 AM

Vintage - No, no, no - I didn't mock the 774. I just asked if anyone knows anything about this model (by the way - it's also called "The Stylist".)

jtapp9 05-23-2011 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Originally Posted by jtapp9
A piece of advice please?

In the 500A that I just got recently, If it is not threaded it will sit and "sew" like mad. No catching or glitches or anything. As soon as I put thread in it and attempt to sew then I can feel it tightening up, like its catching, and the thread will break after maybe 4 stitches. Lots of birds nest underneath. Sometimes it wont even start to sew on its own and the two handwheels will part and the inner one (larger) will spin but not the outer (smaller) one. As soon as I pull the thread out it will "sew" again.

I have changed the needle. I have taken the tension unit off and loosened it. I have tried several different kinds of thread. I've checked the bobbin area for crud.

Any other things I can try tonight?

I've had to put them away a bit because I kept tinkering with machines and NOT getting any sewing done. I've about come to the conclusion that I should just pay the money for ones that have already been serviced. My patience really does wear thin pretty quickly when it comes to tinkering with minor problems with seemingly no fixes...lol. I had decided to take them to the local SMS for a servicing but seems their number is no longer in service :(....sucks for me.

Go look for another machine, 301, 201, FW, 15s. They work, and easy to repair. I forgot what machines you already have, but don't waste your time on that one.

I already had a 301, a 66 and a 192K. I just picked up the second 301 and a 500A and 503A.

I can't think of it in terms of wasting my time considering the 500A is supposed to be one of the best for doing decorative stitches. The others, although I love them, don't do anything but straight stitch and I want to end up with at least one machine that I can get a little fancier with (when the need arises..lol)

vintagemotif 05-23-2011 11:22 AM

In the 500A that I just got recently, If it is not threaded it will sit and "sew" like mad. No catching or glitches or anything. As soon as I put thread in it and attempt to sew then I can feel it tightening up, like its catching, and the thread will break after maybe 4 stitches. Lots of birds nest underneath. Sometimes it wont even start to sew on its own and the two handwheels will part and the inner one (larger) will spin but not the outer (smaller) one. As soon as I pull the thread out it will "sew" again.

I have changed the needle. I have taken the tension unit off and loosened it. I have tried several different kinds of thread. I've checked the bobbin area for crud.

I've had to put them away a bit because I kept tinkering with machines and NOT getting any sewing done. I've about come to the conclusion that I should just pay the money for ones that have already been serviced. My patience really does wear thin pretty quickly when it comes to tinkering with minor problems with seemingly no fixes...lol. I had decided to take them to the local SMS for a servicing but seems their number is no longer in service :(....sucks for me.

Go look for another machine, 301, 201, FW, 15s. They work, and easy to repair. I forgot what machines you already have, but don't waste your time on that one.

I already had a 301, a 66 and a 192K. I just picked up the second 301 and a 500A and 503A.

I can't think of it in terms of wasting my time considering the 500A is supposed to be one of the best for doing decorative stitches. The others, although I love them, don't do anything but straight stitch and I want to end up with at least one machine that I can get a little fancier with (when the need arises..lol)

Okay, keep that 500A as your parts machine and find another that works.

I try to have two of every machine that I use, one for parts. Since most of the time I can find a machine for cheaper than if I have to purchase parts off of ebay or elsewhere, it becomes the parts machine, a backup.

Remember I'm the treadle person, so not into electric machines. So, my frustration last night is carrying over to throw the dang electric plastic machines out.

Sorry, I forgot that is was cool looking "Jeston" Rocketeer. Keep that machine!

irishrose 05-23-2011 11:52 AM

jtapp, I'm thinking the needle on the 500. Put it away and sew on a another machine until you go to town, and just fun, pick up some Singer needles. My 301 will not FMQ without breaking the thread with a Schmetz needle. I am not a fan of Singer needles, but she is. I am FMQ right now. I'd like to put in a Schmetz needle just to see what happens, but I'm not going to. The machine is being perfect and rayon thread isn't fun to take it because it breaks too easily. The 500 is one of the machines I'd like to have so I'm interested in what you find out.

Laura59, I don't know if the FW has the same type of paint as the 301, but I had to clean my tan 301 with Oxyclean. The machine was even colored, but yellowish and didn't feel clean. It was layered with that grungy yellow-tan coating that heavy smokers leave behind. It's very clean now and the small part I waxed looks good. I didn't wax it all yet because there are few more things I want to do with it first.

miriam 05-23-2011 11:54 AM

They really are a great machine - it might take some work but it is well worth it once you do - the more you do yourself the more you will learn - in time you won't be so frustrated. When you get frustrated take a step away for a bit then go back. I think you will do ok fixing it yourself. Take your time. You might try a different pack of needles. Some machines are picky about thread - try that stuff that begins with G... I can't remember how it is spelled. I had one that was picky about needles and thread. I sold it... I have a 403 that doesn't like the spools of thread - they wrap around and do all that breaking. You might check to see if the thread is moving off the spool right. I put mine on the bobbin winder spindle and loop the thread around the spindle and across. You might have to see where else you can stick a spool. It sounds like someone didn't have it in running order when you bought it. I've had several through here, they are a fine machine.

jtapp9 05-23-2011 12:45 PM

Irishrose, as much as it pains me I will get some Singer needles ;)

Miriam, Gutermann thread perhaps? I have tried it, Coats N Clark, Connecting Threads, Aurifil and some cheap a$$ 2/$1 thread from Walmart that I'm trying to use up...lol. I knew the machine wasn't quite right when I bought it. I'm sure its probably something simple but those are the ones that drive a person the craziest..hahaha. I"m going to try moving the thread because it does jerk a lot. I've tried threadign it differently, don't remember where I read another way to do it, but I've tried that way. I really believe it is either in the tensioner or something in the bobbin case...just got to figure it out.

I play with them for a little bit then I have to put them away. For one thing, I never get any sewing done if I PLAY with the machines for very long :).

The 503A would probably right now run better, but its missing some parts and I'd rather get the "whole" 500A up and running and then think about what I want to do with the 503A.

I don't plan on giving up on the 500 even if I have to pay to ship it to someone to work on for me! :)

Kathie S. 05-23-2011 12:47 PM

The meeting is coming up, beginning of June. I would love to meet up with you too.[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up on the meeting. Do you know when? Kathie

miriam 05-23-2011 01:06 PM

Irishrose, as much as it pains me I will get some Singer needles ;)

Miriam, Gutermann thread perhaps? I have tried it, Coats N Clark, Connecting Threads, Aurifil and some cheap a$$ 2/$1 thread from Walmart that I'm trying to use up...lol. I knew the machine wasn't quite right when I bought it. I'm sure its probably something simple but those are the ones that drive a person the craziest..hahaha. I"m going to try moving the thread because it does jerk a lot. I've tried threadign it differently, don't remember where I read another way to do it, but I've tried that way. I really believe it is either in the tensioner or something in the bobbin case...just got to figure it out.

I play with them for a little bit then I have to put them away. For one thing, I never get any sewing done if I PLAY with the machines for very long :).

The 503A would probably right now run better, but its missing some parts and I'd rather get the "whole" 500A up and running and then think about what I want to do with the 503A.

I don't plan on giving up on the 500 even if I have to pay to ship it to someone to work on for me! :)

The 503 is a better machine in my opinion... - all you have to do is come up with all 22 top hats and it will do the same as the 500... Use the parts off the 500 if you have to. Try the Gutermann thread. Check to make sure the thread is going off the spool and not winding back around the spool or around the spindle or on the little slit in the end of the spool or kinking up

http://www.tandtrepair.com/SlantOMatics.html
check there for threading info - great site - good info

quilt addict 05-23-2011 01:06 PM

[quote=Kathie S.]

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Are you in So Cal?

Billy
I am just North of Sacramento. Kathie

Kathie, Your GNO sounds like so much fun. Maybe we can start a San Diego chapter. Anyone, besides Billy, interested?

I couldn't commit to a weekly, but maybe monthly get together.

Lisa