Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

miriam 06-05-2011 06:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It is for darning. You REALLY have to have a picture to be able to put it on the machine. It is just a little wire. It works good though. I was able to really get some motion going on the little scrap. Even the back side looks good. I'm putting up a pic of the flower I made and one I already washed.

miriam 06-05-2011 06:15 AM

I wonder how you make button holes with the little twisted wire thing.

Suzi 06-05-2011 06:26 AM

Then it's more of a guide, right? I see a clear picture of it in the pic that you posted previously. Thanks (love your machine, BTW) .............. ;o)

Charlee 06-05-2011 06:33 AM

Miriam, I have a couple of those...but have never played with them...was too afraid I'd ruin them! LOL

miriam 06-05-2011 06:33 AM

It's like a spring of some kind on the left of the needle. When you sew the whole thing goes down to the fabric with the needle. A regular foot doesn't really have anything to do with the needle. This is around the needle twice and hooked around the needle's screw holder. I was so busy trying out free motion I didn't figure out all of it. Do they still make them?

miriam 06-05-2011 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Miriam, I have a couple of those...but have never played with them...was too afraid I'd ruin them! LOL

go for it - I had a blast!

Charlee 06-05-2011 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
It's like a spring of some kind on the left of the needle. When you sew the whole thing goes down to the fabric with the needle. A regular foot doesn't really have anything to do with the needle. This is around the needle twice and hooked around the needle's screw holder. I was so busy trying out free motion I didn't figure out all of it. Do they still make them?

I don't think so...and I don't think many of them have survived, simply because they're easily bent...

Suzi 06-05-2011 08:02 AM

I see the paper bag it came in but still don't know what it's called (all I can read on the bag is 'new, improved).

miriam 06-05-2011 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Suzi
I see the paper bag it came in but still don't know what it's called (all I can read on the bag is 'new, improved).

it is called "Universal Sewing Machine Attachment" on the bag...

miriam 06-05-2011 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee

Originally Posted by miriam

I don't think so...and I don't think many of them have survived, simply because they're easily bent...

I can see that - it is just a piece of wire. I think it would be a good idea not to put too much stress on it when putting material in or out of it. It is easy to use that is for sure. What kind of foot does the same thing? What would be your preference?