Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

jljack 07-25-2011 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Here's the 1949 Singer blackside 128-23 I picked up Saturday.

The attachments you asked about are "top clamp" and go to one of these:
Davis, New Home, Standard, White, Domestic, Kenmore, Free-Westinghouse, or National.
(list from the book by Charlene Phillips, The Sewing Machine Attachment Handbook)

Evidently there are 12 different sizes of these top clamp attachments that all fit different machines...

Charlee, how can you tell which ones fit what? I bought some to go on my 1917 Western Electric (National), but how do I determine if I got the right ones?

QuiltnCowgirl 07-25-2011 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by jljack

Davis, New Home, Standard, White, Domestic, Kenmore, Free-Westinghouse, or National.
(list from the book by Charlene Phillips, The Sewing Machine Attachment Handbook)

Evidently there are 12 different sizes of these top clamp attachments that all fit different machines...

Charlee, how can you tell which ones fit what? I bought some to go on my 1917 Western Electric (National), but how do I determine if I got the right ones?

Janice - do you want to try out the ones I have? Keep only what you want of the ones that fit. We could work out a trade?

jljack 07-25-2011 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by greenini
Here are some pic's of my new babies the 15-91's (the yellow towel is the covering for the 15-91 we got in the case in NH) first
then the 301, then Ray :lol:

Questions: those deep scratches, any quick fix? Or wait to redo if necessary?

301 ugly spots: same question, can I get rid of them, what are they and have they already damaged the finish?

Greenini - That case is the wrong one for the 301, it does not need a case to sew. It has feet on the bottom of it, and you can set it on any hard surface to sew with it. The little rubber feet are available online..in case yours are rock hard dried out. They originally came in a little suitcase type case that they just sit in, not like this one, not like a "base" for the machine.

jljack 07-25-2011 01:24 PM

Janice - do you want to try out the ones I have? Keep only what you want of the ones that fit. We could work out a trade?

I got a pretty good set, so want to see if they work, first. I'll have to get it out and try them. But I can't run the machine, as the wires are bare! :shock: I'll just have to try them by turning the handwheel. Not gonna happen for a couple of weeks, at least! Thanks for the offer...I'll let you know. But if you want to sell them, go ahead and don't wait for me. There are always a bunch of these sets for sale on eBay and ShopGoodwill.

QuiltnCowgirl 07-25-2011 01:28 PM

I got a pretty good set, so want to see if they work, first. I'll have to get it out and try them. But I can't run the machine, as the wires are bare! :shock: I'll just have to try them by turning the handwheel. Not gonna happen for a couple of weeks, at least! Thanks for the offer...I'll let you know. But if you want to sell them, go ahead and don't wait for me. There are always a bunch of these sets for sale on eBay and ShopGoodwill.

Ok - will do that. Guess I need to figure out which machine they fit. Or let someone have them for a fair price & figure it out on their own.

jljack 07-25-2011 01:30 PM

So, I am looking for a treadle base for my 66 so I can de-motorize it. I am not finding anything in my area reasonable (over $100 for terrible looking stuff), and neither is Sheryl finding anything around Fresno, though she has been trying hard to help me out.

If anyone here within reasonable driving distance (??? from Bakersfield, very little is "reasonable" driving distance!! But hopefully I can do road trip to No or So CA within the next few weeks) has a Singer treadle they can part with for a reasonable price, please let me know. I can do restoration work if required....DH is a "wood guy". Thanks!!

quilt addict 07-25-2011 01:40 PM

So, I am looking for a treadle base for my 66 so I can de-motorize it. I am not finding anything in my area reasonable (over $100 for terrible looking stuff), and neither is Sheryl finding anything around Fresno, though she has been trying hard to help me out.

If anyone here within reasonable driving distance (??? from Bakersfield, very little is "reasonable" driving distance!! But hopefully I can do road trip to No or So CA within the next few weeks) has a Singer treadle they can part with for a reasonable price, please let me know. I can do restoration work if required....DH is a "wood guy". Thanks!!

I agree, prices lately have been way too high for stuff I see on Craig's list. I get better prices at garage sales but it takes more work as you have to drive around. Keep looking, one will fall in your lap! If you are ever in San Diego would love to meet you in person. I'll show you all the thrift stores....and there are alot of them.

vintagemotif 07-25-2011 01:40 PM

You should make the trip up to Sacramento in Sept. for the Gold Country Treadleon Gathering. I'm sure someone there may have a treadle for you.

QuiltnCowgirl 07-25-2011 01:44 PM

California folks - We (Janice & I) are also looking into the possibility that we would find a machine & cabinet. I am looking for a machine, working or not, with the coveted decals for display in my sewing room. She would take the cabinet, I would take the machine & we would split the cost. Let one of us know if you see anything in your local area.

QuiltnCowgirl 07-25-2011 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

You should make the trip up to Sacramento in Sept. for the Gold Country Treadleon Gathering. I'm sure someone there may have a treadle for you.

Janice - sounds like a road trip for us. Pick me up on your way!