Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Lostn51 09-02-2011 10:54 AM

Lisa I am glad to see you using the Japanese Singer!! Is that a nice machine or what?!?

If you use the handwheel to stop and start by you will not have a problem with it wanting to run backwards. With treadles you live and die by the handwheel!

Billy

quilt addict 09-02-2011 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Lisa I am glad to see you using the Japanese Singer!! Is that a nice machine or what?!?

If you use the handwheel to stop and start by you will not have a problem with it wanting to run backwards. With treadles you live and die by the handwheel!

Billy

I am using the handwheel, it is just tough to get it started. Somehow I must be allowing the pitman to stall and falling back instead of completing the circle. It is not smooth yet, but getting better.

Just need more coordination, handwheel, pull pins, keep feet moving, oh where did that 1/4" seam go......

I did switch to a dining chair but it is a bit high, my knees rub on the covering on the bottom. I should check, maybe the Japanese treadle irons are shorter..... I'm only 5'2" on a good day so was very surprised by this little annoyance.

I saw a garage sale ad that had those rubber mat tiles for sale. I may have to go get a couple of those for it to sit on.

miriam 09-02-2011 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Originally Posted by quilt addict
I finally did it.....Sewed on one of my treadle machine, a Singer 191U.

I have a question though. My machine is on smooth floor and it moves around when I am peddling. What do you guys use to keep it in place or do I need to adjust how I am peddling?

I did learn you cannot use a chair on wheels. Both the chair and the machine were rolling all over.

heeheee Rock'n and a roll'n! I hope you have some good tunes to go with that!

My floors are carpeted, and the treadles sit on the rubber carpet protector pads. You can find the pads at Home Depot or Lowes.

Have you tried sitting the treadle onto those to see if you no longer a rolling?

Find yourself a vintage Singer chair!! Or find a piano bench.
Both are about the right height for the treadles, and they both can store attachments and other vintage sewing treasures. :)

I'm picturing that too. I would love to be able to draw that cartoon... My cartoon would be drawn from the back side of ya sitting there at that treadle with a cat just sitting there playing with the fabric that spills off the table - that way it could be any one of us... I use a piano bench with storage and an old sewing stool with storage. For my industrial walking foot machine, I use a drum throne but threads get caught in the wheels - on the scout for another piano bench.

miriam 09-02-2011 12:13 PM

Hang in there Billy, you'll feel like a new person when you get healed. Prayers.

Kathie S. 09-02-2011 12:23 PM

in Wonderful prayer, Kathie, and I said it again as I read it....there is POWER in prayer!![/quote]

Janice, several years ago I was very sick and almost died several times. I know that is by the grace of God and prayers that got me throught that horrible mess. Our God is a powerful and awesome God. Kathie

grannie cheechee 09-02-2011 12:34 PM

Keeping you and yours in our prayers!!!!!!!!!!!

sueisallaboutquilts 09-02-2011 02:37 PM

Billy, did you see the doctor today??
Praying for you daily, and you're in my thoughts. You are so loved by us :)
Sue

Nanamoms 09-02-2011 03:17 PM

I picked up my Singer 126 from repair shop this afternoon. The repair tech (owner) wasn't able to get the bobbin shuttle and bobbin as his parts warehouse was out of stock and they don't know when they will get them in.

SO, I need the shuttle and a couple of bobbins for the 126. Is there any board member that might have some for sale? Or where do I need to go to find them? I know they make four styles so how do I know which one to get?

TIA!!! The body is sooo shiny but I do want to work on the chrome pieces with Billy's tutes to get them glowing!!

grayhare 09-02-2011 03:35 PM

There is a Jones Medium CS Sewing Machine,Queen Alexandra. The decals look nice, but it is missing the hand crank. Is it possible to replace it? I couldn't really find too much info. on it.
Thank you.

Billy, you are in my prayers, you take care.
Anamaria

purplefiend 09-02-2011 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
I finally did it.....Sewed on one of my treadle machine, a Singer 191U.

I signed up on the Treadle On group to do the fall TOBE to force myself to finish and use one of my treadle machines. So I am working on a BOM that is a UFO making log cabin blocks as practice first. Boy I am getting used to threading the needle as I often start to sew backwards and break the thread. I'm still fiddling with the tension a bit but not bad. It is like it is not releasing when you raise the pressure foot either.

I have a question though. My machine is on smooth floor and it moves around when I am peddling. What do you guys use to keep it in place or do I need to adjust how I am peddling?

I did learn you cannot use a chair on wheels. Both the chair and the machine were rolling all over.

I have hardwood floors in my house. My cabinets are against a wall and they stay put with no problem at all. I sit on a Singer sewing stool, I have 2 of them they are the right height and stay put too.